Thread: I can't delete these files pagefile.sys, system volume information

1. i am using windows xp with sp2, 'Pagefile.sys' this is an Hide protected operating system files, which have been there in all drivers in my PC, it takes around 732 mb of disk space in each drive. when i tried to delete it, i got the error message like Error Deleting file or folder cannot delete pagefile. Access denied, Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected & that the files is not currently in use, so how do i delete that pagefile.sys in all my drivers.

2. when i tried to delete this folder 'system volume information' i got the error message as Error deleting file or folder, cannot remove folder system volume information: access is denied. make sure the disk is not full or wirte-protected and that the file is not currently in use. so how do i delete this folder

3. How can i change Hide protected operating system file to a normal file, for example take this 'system volume information' if you right click and go to the properties of this file, in general tab you see attributes: there Hidden option can't be edited, only we can edit read-only. so how do i make this hide protected operating system file to a normal file.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    saqib's Avatar Levels killing BT BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by octshik View Post
    1. i am using windows xp with sp2, 'Pagefile.sys' this is an Hide protected operating system files, which have been there in all drivers in my PC, it takes around 732 mb of disk space in each drive. when i tried to delete it, i got the error message like Error Deleting file or folder cannot delete pagefile. Access denied, Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected & that the files is not currently in use, so how do i delete that pagefile.sys in all my drivers.

2. when i tried to delete this folder 'system volume information' i got the error message as Error deleting file or folder, cannot remove folder system volume information: access is denied. make sure the disk is not full or wirte-protected and that the file is not currently in use. so how do i delete this folder

3. How can i change Hide protected operating system file to a normal file, for example take this 'system volume information' if you right click and go to the properties of this file, in general tab you see attributes: there Hidden option can't be edited, only we can edit read-only. so how do i make this hide protected operating system file to a normal file.
    it seems that u r using some eXPerience's stuff like tiny release , or any modified xp.

1 . pagefile.sys is needed by OS ( i think it is )
    2. no need to del system volume information
    3. system volume information cant b edited.

and i guess there is no need to ...

r u having any specific problem with these ?

here's my appeal: don't let invites become a currency!
    ( courtesy .PolarBear )

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Go to Start>Control Panel>Folder Options.
    Click on the "View" tab at the top.
    Check "show hidden files and folders".
    Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
    Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

Go to Start>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance>settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change.
    This will show all the drives and you can remove/modify the page file settings for each drive.
    XP requires a page file- typically 1.5 times the amount of installed RAM- but you can put it anywhere you want. Set the minimum and maximum to the same value- say, 1024MB- and place it on a separate drive from the OS (if possible).
    Reboot.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    To add to clocker's post:

2. System Volume Information contains the files for System Restore and they can be edited (antivirus programs can delete files within) but I would recommend leaving well alone. If you want to reclaim any space that these files take up, then either adjust or turn off System Restore from it's tab in System Properties: Start>Control Panel>System

3. There are third party programs that will change the System and Hidden properties for files/folders but there's no need since you can set Windows to display them anyway. I find it useful to be able to see files that have their Hidden bit set with the ghosted icons that Windows uses; it makes me suspicious of them if they hold no manufacturer information.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    lol ur comp needs pagefile.sys, hence its hidden and a .sys file (system)
    and sys volume info cant be deleted bcoz also needed.
    basically dont delete em anyways, why would u want to :S

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    what you all saying is ok, is it that pagefile.sys take that much MB of space in hard drive, in my hard drive it is taking around 730 mb of disk space, and one more thing is that i didn't get solution to my 3rd point that how to make a normal folder or file as Hide protected operating system file, & a hide protected operating system file as normal folder or file

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    KiNdZiUs's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by octshik View Post
    what you all saying is ok, is it that pagefile.sys take that much MB of space in hard drive, in my hard drive it is taking around 730 mb of disk space, and one more thing is that i didn't get solution to my 3rd point that how to make a normal folder or file as Hide protected operating system file, & a hide protected operating system file as normal folder or file
    this is system files/folders and there's no solution (you don't need it) to change atrributes from the same OS where your system files/folders are.
    Of course you can try to change attributes by booting from f.e. ERD Commander (boots Windows XP from CD) but I don't know how your WXP will react after you will boot it:
    a) leave your attributes changes as you seted up from ERD Commander
    b) change it to default as it was
    c) system will not boot