Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best UK ISP *for torrenting* ???

ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyy View Post
    Virgin media cable, BE internet.
    Don't touch Virgin as they are capping big time. Loads of people I know who are torrenting are leaving them because of this....including me. I've recently moved to Sky and have had no problems at all. Consistent speeds with a connection of 8mbps/416kbps. On the 40gig d/l package for £5 a month but you can get unlimited for £10 a month.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    xurbia's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    If it originated from waffles are ip addresses being gathered from there?

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    21122012's Avatar Minger BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Quote Originally Posted by ghurka View Post
    Don't touch Virgin as they are capping big time. Loads of people I know who are torrenting are leaving them because of this....including me. I've recently moved to Sky and have had no problems at all. Consistent speeds with a connection of 8mbps/416kbps. On the 40gig d/l package for £5 a month but you can get unlimited for £10 a month.

yeah Sky is pretty good, they do throttle p2p traffic though, tuning on Encription in uTorrent fixes this though!

I'm gonna move to Talk Talk though cos there 8Meg broadbnd is FREE! (all you pay is line rental + calls - £16 per month - )

Plus talk talk have been sticking up for filesharers:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=12630

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyX View Post
    lol, ovh is not a domestic ISP.
    you just need an ISP good for ftp...

ovh will do the rest

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    nah i don't need a seedbox yet

yes, i think i'll go with Be Pro then. thx for the info SgtMajor- i was worried about the clause in their acceptable use policy that said they can cut you off for "excessive network usage" or something. sounds like they're pretty friendly in that regard though. and ya i don't think i'll have issues with my IP turning up on anyone's radar. (except maybe if what.cd becomes a behemoth like oink hehe)

thx guys

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Member BT Rep: +1
    Go with virgin media then get a hacked modem...

Or several hacked modems...

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by _Darren_ View Post
    Go with virgin media then get a hacked modem...

Or several hacked modems...
    i was going to do this cuz i think virgin media are gna come out with 50meg speed soon, but i decided to stick with virgin and be legal.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    A hacked modem will not get around your line being throttled. If you're on say a 4 meg contract and your line is capable of 50 meg then you may be able to get the higher speeds at times when your line is not throttled, but that won't be very often.

Anyone considering Virgin should take a long hard look at their "traffic management" rules here http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...t/traffic.html. If you either download or upload too much at peak times you will be throttled.....and it will be much more than the 5 hours.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    And we're not talking about just a few video clips. In some cases the top 3% of uploaders and downloaders were using as much as 3GB, just during peak times.
    rotfl...

that's what they call an heavy user? lmao

don't go with them XD

PS: funny that they do not count the datatransfer done by the TV in that pool... damn bastards...
    Last edited by yayyyyyy; 04-25-2008 at 11:26 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by ghurka View Post

Virgin media only cap your bandwidth temporarily from 16:00/21:00 if you go over the limits corresponding with your package. Each package has different user limits 20mb 3gig download 1250mb upload you are only capped if you go over those limits in that timeframe above and it's for 5 hours from the time you went over. So i think these limits are quite decent you still have 19 hours a day to max out your connection without any issues. The L package i did not notice how low the useage limits were untill now i suppose those that are on that price would move or just download outside of those hours.

Sky have problems with online gaming read around you will see the comments posted from the amount of complaints online i would assume it's common.

Be internet well I can't say anything negative about them besides random people have reported continuous connection drops and are forced to keep reseting their modems whether or not this issue has been addressed i don't know this is not from personal experience either.
    Last edited by sleepyy; 04-25-2008 at 02:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast