Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Was Terrified!

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    What you guys seem to be suffering is APNEA

This can be caused by various things, Drugs, slow heart beat among some. Most of the time you stop breathing for a short time this causes you to wake up before your brain does. The cause requires investigation. If you actually wake up, sit up and you still dont know where you are(or who you are&#33 then this requires immediate investigation.

The good news is that this happens to athletes who have a exceptionally low heart beat. I expect you guys will be in this category.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Poster
    You realize what all this really means don't you ?

You gotta believe !

3. Lounge   -   #13
    What you experienced is called "sleep paralysis".

When we sleep, all our muscles are paralysized, except for those related to our eyes. We do move during sleep, but this is done automatically, not intentionally, in response to pressure points on the body.

What has happened to you is that your mind became "aware", before your muscles could "reawake" for intentional use. What I do is just relax and allow myself to return to full sleep. This takes a little self control as paralysis sucks.

When I can't relax, I sort of "shock" myself. I try to send an impulse to kick out my arms and legs. Kind of hard to describe, but I try to pretend that I have been electrocuted and attempt to mimick that event. It always works and blinking helps. Sometimes I have to do it a few times.

So don't worry, this is not dangerous, just the sense of "loss of control" is scary.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Originally posted by bigboab@11 August 2003 - 21:52
    What you guys seem to be suffering is APNEA

This can be caused by various things, Drugs, slow heart beat among some. Most of the time you stop breathing for a short time this causes you to wake up before your brain does. The cause requires investigation. If you actually wake up, sit up and you still dont know where you are(or who you are&#33 then this requires immediate investigation.

The good news is that this happens to athletes who have a exceptionally low heart beat. I expect you guys will be in this category.
    No, this is not "apnea". Apnea is usually related to snorers and obese people. There is never a sense of "paralysis", these people are awakened fully, often choking or gasping.

Classically, people with "apnea" will awaken the next day with a headache feeling run down. Sleep paralysis is an isolated entity and is incredibly infrequent. Apnea usually is chronic and occurs quite regularly. In fact, people with apnea can be witnesses to have up to 15 episodes an hour, sometimes not breathing for up to 3 minutes.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I experienced a paranormal event similar but not the same years & years ago. I won't go into it, because of a lot of maligning in this thread. Prayer to God (my understanding thereof) released me. Peace.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Aberrant
    Originally posted by zapjb@11 August 2003 - 18:19
    I won't go into it, because of a lot of maligning in this thread.
    Since when????

7. Lounge   -   #17
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    It used to happen to me as well, too many times to count - and it SUCKS!!!!

I swear you think you're going to die. I did the same thing - started breathing heavy so that the person or family member in the adjacent room might hear my breathing and come to wake me, but they never did.....I just had to ride it out, and it feels like an eternity.

It hasn't happened in several years (thankfully), and I hope it never happens again!

Thanks for the horrible reminder.....

Tchau!

8. Lounge   -   #18
    99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    This was freaky, my senses were also hightened. Also, I've never take pot or any form of drugs in my life. Thanks crumbcat for that message, I though knowone believed me, in a way I think this was more spiritual and less scientific. Thats just me though.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Lilmiss's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    Originally posted by 99shassan@12 August 2003 - 16:35
    I though knowone believed me
    hmph...
    Last edited by Alien5; Today at 12:51

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Originally posted by 99shassan@12 August 2003 - 17:35
    This was freaky, my senses were also hightened. Also, I've never take pot or any form of drugs in my life. Thanks crumbcat for that message, I though knowone believed me, in a way I think this was more spiritual and less scientific. Thats just me though.
    Don't you even read your own thread? What you experienced is 0% spiritual. I already told you what you have, as I have the same condition,- sleep paralysis.

The condition is alarming at first, but totally harmless. It is a well known medical entity. So put the crystal ball away, snuff out the incense, and don't sacrifice your cat. It irks me a little that people jump to mystical explanations, this is how ignorance and superstition survive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast