Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloading on Torrent using Hotel Internet

Mhmm.. BT Rep: +4
    hey guys.. i'm just curious.. before i download off the hotel's internet, would there be a way for me to be caught downloading using torrent? or is it perfectly safe? i've been missing my tv shows, and i'm itching to watch them responses appreciated, thank you!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    GOIN' MACH 5!!
    i wouldn't log into any private trackers using the hotel's internet. but public sites are ok.

are you not allowed to use p2p for this particular hotel or what?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    BANNED BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I guess there's only one way to find out.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Septimus's Avatar -- Nicolas -- BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousBlue! View Post
    Yes, that's true! haha

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    If it's wireless I don't think you would have any trouble but logging into private sites might not be the best idea, realistically I myself would prob do it to try it, but you should tell some tracker staff first and check with them to see if there will be a problem with the different IP coming up

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Mhmm.. BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by robotpirate View Post
    i wouldn't log into any private trackers using the hotel's internet. but public sites are ok.

are you not allowed to use p2p for this particular hotel or what?
    I'm not sure, I haven't tried.. I don't want to try yet without making sure

Quote Originally Posted by J0zza View Post
    What if the moment I open BT 1238902839 police cars come my way.. after all, I AM in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    If it's wireless I don't think you would have any trouble but logging into private sites might not be the best idea, realistically I myself would prob do it to try it, but you should tell some tracker staff first and check with them to see if there will be a problem with the different IP coming up
    It's using a cable.. so I guess I'd be traced/caught? :\

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    I doubt you'll have any problems... I mean why would they care?
    Just keep your uploading capped so you don't make the connection slow as hell for other people trying to browse the interwebz.

But definitely be careful about the IP thing, don't get banned anywhere. I doubt the staff will believe the hotel thing.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    The different IP wouldn't mean much. I've downloaded stuff from different locations numerous times due to the fact that almost all private torrent sites use passkeys.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Quote Originally Posted by jars View Post
    The different IP wouldn't mean much. I've downloaded stuff from different locations numerous times due to the fact that almost all private torrent sites use passkeys.
    But usually when you're at a hotel, you're far away from home.
    So that would look bad on a tracker in comparison to logging in at work and at home and at a friends house - all relatively close together.

But actually, the more I think about it - A lot of trackers won't actually take action in the situation unless the email changes too, so you should be fine - maybe just in case, edit the profile on your trackers saying where you are and until when and tell them not to ban you.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    there shouldn't be a problem from staff side.

even if they don't believe you, they can simply look up the IP just to make sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast