Thread: Lite-on Mpeg 4 Player

woo hoo!! my mpeg4-compatible dvd player came today!

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/liteweb/lvd_2001.htm
    (the lite-on site has been a bit unreliable today, but the link should work when their server gets back online)

just thought some people might be curious about how these machines perform. so far, i've tested about 30 or 40 discs encoded in DivX 3.11, DivX 5, and XviD... and out of all of those, it's only had problems with about 3 or 4. for the most part, it usually seems the audio track is just incompatible and needs to be re-encoded to mp3.

the secret menu to change the player to region 0 and to disable macrovision was easy to access, it handles cheap CD-R media well, it auto-plays data CDs, and the picture quality is great. my TV has a nasty little problem where the edges of the picture go off the screen a bit, so it's nice that this player has a zoom feature that lets you stretch or shrink the picture vertically or horizontally (or both), depending on what you need. i'm totally happy with this gadget. as far as i know, this player should be comparable to the KISS 450 since it uses the same decoder chip.

edit: oh, and updating the firmware (to add DivX 3.11 support) was also very easy. i just DL'd the firmware update as a nero CD image, burned it, popped it into the Lite-On, and it automatically flashed the firmware in approx 4 or 5 minutes.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    ya we have to have a club i got mine a couple of days ago

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    telecines dont look so great in Divx

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    The Panasonic SCHT900 can handle all of the above plus DVD-RAM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i haven't checked out any CAMs, TeleSyncs or TeleCines on this player... but DVD/VHS/TV rips all look really decent.

XviD and DivX 4/5 playback is smooth as silk, but DivX 3.11 isn't quite up-to-snuff (which i'd already heard about from KISS 450 owners). DivX 3.11 image quality is fine on this player, but it hiccups during fast action scenes & rapid-fire edits-- i guess 'cause the Sigma decoder chip doesn't support 3.11 natively but rather it uses a work-around to re-encode it to DivX 5 or something and then display it. anyway, that's not such a huge problem, imho, since people are finally moving away from 3.11 as their encoder of choice these days.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by Amarjit@13 August 2003 - 06:14
    The Panasonic SCHT900 can handle all of the above plus DVD-RAM.
    it doesn't handle Mpeg 4. which is the topic of this thread.