Thread: wireless router, what should i know

BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    ok i have a wireless router but as i said before range is not so good, its like few feet's while it supposed to cover around 100m, for now am using my main pc wired and a laptop wireless, am planing to buy another laptop but not for same room so i thought i may need a better router to connect from a further distance. am totally newb at setting a router and my ISP sat my current router and most probably they only know about their own router so i dont think if i buy a new one they can guide me through.

so what are needed configuration for a router, like getaway and other network setups.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    for a router to just work there shouldn't be too much you need to do. WAN port for your modem to connect to and make sure DHCP is enabled to give out IPs (or set static ips) for any device on the network. most routers allow you to access their config page by pointing your browser to your default gateway ip. you can set a network password, change your SSID and so on.

now if you want to forward ports for bittorrent and such then things are more in depth. there are many routers that don't handle torrent traffic too well. i have a linksys wrt45g router, but with dd-wrt firmware. the upgraded firmware gives you many more capabilities and allows some routers to run much better.

WRT45G and Tomato firmware

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    how about his
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...gabit%2bRouter

ist good enough, am not good with terminologies, so if you can just tell me whether it can range from my room till room next door(10m) and does it have built in user controls such as defining individual speed limits.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    I tend to use Edimax products (although in fact none of the products listed there) and I've found them extremely reliable. Distance and consistency has never been a problem, even with lots of BT activity.

Well worth considering if you can get them in your location.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    If you can, I highly suggest getting these antennas. I bought 4 of them and they work great. Can pick up networks not seen before + I get a constant connection when the microwave is going
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bought WAG160N-linksys, works like charm, great range. the only thing is missing from it is a BW limiter, like limiting speed for individual users. any progy for it?
    i know about NetLimiter but last time i used it i couldn't limit across the network, only my own connection i could limit.

Benjamen button

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    KiNdZiUs's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I suggest you LINKSYS wireless routers because this company is the division of CISCO (their network product are the best-reliable-durable, but are the expensive one).
    I'll suggest you Linksys router which could be upgradable to open source firmwares. I don't know from which country you are but f.e. in Baltic coutries there's one popular product WRT54GL.

Of course, if you think about N wireless standard then you should check new product list in Linksys website. Because that one supports b,g.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by BawA View Post
    bought WAG160N-linksys, works like charm, great range. the only thing is missing from it is a BW limiter, like limiting speed for individual users. any progy for it?
    i know about NetLimiter but last time i used it i couldn't limit across the network, only my own connection i could limit.
    thats where the updated firmware comes in. i did a little google searching, and from what i found, there is a 'special' version of dd-wrt that allows you to limit bandwidth. there is also open wrt and tomato firmware you can check out.

you may also want to look into QoS, and if the linksys firmware has it. it allows you to prioritize packets so you can reduce gaming lag, give http traffic preference over bittorrent traffic etc.