Thread: A bit of help on system i want to buy.....

gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Ok here goes i want to buy a....
    2.5GHZ quad core Q9300 processor
    4GB ram ddr II
    500GB Seagate SATAII 7200RPM
    64Bit Vista
    ---was recommended to buy ANY 8800GT or 8800GTS for gaming

Now i want to mainly use this pc for gaming...is this an ideal spec...
    Also with the SLI ready motherboards...do i HAVE to install 2 PCI-e SLI ready cards or can i install only one? I ask this because i don't want to have to upgrade when i do do decide to go SLI.

Thanks for all your help people!
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You can install just one video card to begin with and add the second anytime.

For a gaming PC, the e8400 would probably be a better- and cheaper- choice of CPU.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Right thanks for that information. I will most likely be getting the SLI ready mobo and install a second gfx card later on. What motherboard would you recommend thats a reliable one. I am lost in terms of getting a good motherboard...so many and also some have catches like only run at certain speeds etc...like last time my mobo only ran pci-e 4x max. I dont want to fall into the same pit again.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Sorry, SLI capable motherboards (i.e., nVidia) aren't something I've kept up on.
    SLI never made much sense to me from a price/performance aspect anyway...I've always thought just buying one great vid card was enough.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I too think SLI and crossfire are a waste of cash. One high-end video card is more than powerful enough for even the most demanding games out there.

Before I recommend a Mobo, what's your budget... or I should say, what are you looking to spend. Because the sky really is the limit, and the more your willing to spend the better the board (of course).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    LaPistola's Avatar about BT Rep: +2
    nforce 780i for the mobo
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    i had almost similar hardware and was running one 9600 gt video card and could run crysis on the highest settings

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Hey hey G4E whats Up! Long time no see. As far as Vid cards go I have read over and over the 9600 series is a waste of money and you should get the 8800GT and OC it yourself, if you even have to.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9