Thread: Stats

Man, I've been member for far past 30 days nw, still restricted somehow??.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    rossco broke the forum. he'll be right on it.

hoi rossco! get on it!

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    Oh wait, seems to work now..that was fast.
    Last edited by flamers; 05-12-2008 at 02:31 PM.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    I've seen this behaviour repeatedly, and I think I have worked out the answer.

I suspect that when you make a post the board software adds your account to a list of those that need to be checked. This applies to all automatic actions, not just promotion of noobs. The alternative is that the software would have to check every account, which would clearly be ridiculous. It saves the board software from checking inactive accounts.

Since most promotions are based on the number of posts they happen automatically. The promotion from "Noob" to "Member" is based on time so the result is that you have to make at least 1 post after the 30 day period is up in order to trigger the promotion to "Member".

Obviously, the post you make complaining that you haven't been promoted is just the action the software needs to trigger your promotion.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post

I suspect that when you make a post the board software adds your account to a list of those that need to be checked. This applies to all automatic actions, not just promotion of noobs. The alternative is that the software would have to check every account, which would clearly be ridiculous. It saves the board software from checking inactive accounts.

Since most promotions are based on the number of posts they happen automatically. The promotion from "Noob" to "Member" is based on time so the result is that you have to make at least 1 post after the 30 day period is up in order to trigger the promotion to "Member".

Obviously, the post you make complaining that you haven't been promoted is just the action the software needs to trigger your promotion.
    Actually I've explained it before.
    vBulletin has a scheduled tasks system. Whenever anyone views the board there is a image tag at the bottom of the page that links to a php file.
    The php file returns a clear 1x1 image.
    Whenever that php file runs though it checks the list of scheduled tasks. Based on the current time, when the task is supposed to run, and when it last ran, it will run the task by including the php file for that task.
    So the system can have tasks that take a lot of time to run, but it won't affect page load time for teh user who happens to trigger it because instead of waiting for the page to load while teh task runs you instead just wait for that image to load (which is at the bottom of the page so never afffects anything).

The task for promoting users runs every hour, or 2 hours, can't remember which. It goes through the list of promotions then checks EVERY user account that matches what the promotion applies to and checks if it should get a promotion.
    So if you happen to make your second post 2 minutes after the task runs then you have either a 58/118minute wait (can't remember which).

But in this specific situation the user only had 1 post at the time he started this thread.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post

Actually I've explained it before.
    vBulletin has a scheduled tasks system. Whenever anyone views the board there is a image tag at the bottom of the page that links to a php file.
    The php file returns a clear 1x1 image.
    Whenever that php file runs though it checks the list of scheduled tasks. Based on the current time, when the task is supposed to run, and when it last ran, it will run the task by including the php file for that task.
    So the system can have tasks that take a lot of time to run, but it won't affect page load time for teh user who happens to trigger it because instead of waiting for the page to load while teh task runs you instead just wait for that image to load (which is at the bottom of the page so never afffects anything).

The task for promoting users runs every hour, or 2 hours, can't remember which. It goes through the list of promotions then checks EVERY user account that matches what the promotion applies to and checks if it should get a promotion.
    So if you happen to make your second post 2 minutes after the task runs then you have either a 58/118minute wait (can't remember which).

But in this specific situation the user only had 1 post at the time he started this thread.
    It's like people don't pay any attention to you or something

So what causes it then? Does anyone know?