Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How's The Weather?

Poster
    I used a full sized Jack Hammer on a scaffold at 150 foot up. We had built a concrete tower and one of the engineers thought the metal re-inforcing might have been put in wrong. Only way to check was to remove the concrete.

Unfortunately I couldn't reach the concrete to break from the scaffold, so I had to stand outside and hold on to the handrail, with my leg wrapped round it. That way I could hold the Jack Hammer against the tower resting it on one shoulder and holding the middle with my other hand.

It was a seriously mental thing to do, however I was paid a ridiculous amount of money to do it. That was about 25 years ago when health and safety at work was an oxymoron.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Originally posted by JPaul@12 August 2003 - 21:59
    health and safety at work
    WTF???

Is that a new thing?

Hehe, there's a lot of guys wont work with me on scaffold
    I earned the nick name "Traps" If you worked on site, then you know what that means

I once busted a 2 ton cocrete lintle thru with a jackhammer
    It came crashing down crippling our towers Left us hanging from the gutter I thought that was funny as hell, my boss did'nt

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

3. Lounge   -   #23
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    Oh yeah - the weather is just perfect here in Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area)........right around 83 degrees outside.....and the pool is a nice 89 degrees - SPLASH!

I think I'll open a beer and just hang out.........how sweet it is, how sweet it is.

Tchau!

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Poster
    Apparently they just thought it up.

Have you ever remove the bricks from the bottom course of a wall one at a time.

It's really cool.

You take every other one away

Then every other one again.

Then every other one again, until its sitting on a few bricks.

Then get everyone to shoulder charge it and hope it falls away from you.

That's assuming that it didn't fall before that.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Originally posted by JPaul@12 August 2003 - 22:12

It's really cool.

That's assuming that it didn't fall before that.
    Erm......No Have to try that Sounds like fun

I once (you gonna like this) stould on a garage roof, wood and steel with an aligator saw cutting it away from the nieghbouring garage, no support underneith and me................................stood on the side to come down duh

Yes.........That did hurt And how I still have my legs is a mirical cos the saw cut thru my rigger boot on the way down and just nicked my shin

I must say, out of all the accidents I've had (falling of roofs and ladders etc)
    That one did actually sh1t me up a bit

I was in a major panic, I honestly though I had lost my leg, did'nt even notice the nail in my other foot ..................Until I stood up

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Poster
    Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS+12 August 2003 - 23:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JONNO_CELEBS @ 12 August 2003 - 23:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@12 August 2003 - 22:12

It&#39;s really cool.

That&#39;s assuming that it didn&#39;t fall before that.
    Erm......No Have to try that Sounds like fun

I once (you gonna like this) stould on a garage roof, wood and steel with an aligator saw cutting it away from the nieghbouring garage, no support underneith and me................................stood on the side to come down duh

Yes.........That did hurt And how I still have my legs is a mirical cos the saw cut thru my rigger boot on the way down and just nicked my shin

I must say, out of all the accidents I&#39;ve had (falling of roofs and ladders etc)
    That one did actually sh1t me up a bit

I was in a major panic, I honestly though I had lost my leg, did&#39;nt even notice the nail in my other foot ..................Until I stood up

Jonno B) [/b][/quote]
    LOL

Worst accident I ever had - didn&#39;t happen to me.

We had been pouring concrete all day - I was mixing about 20 tonnes a day at that time. I was very good at it.

It was then being put inside an old church to re-inforce the foundation. They were using a dumper to put it in.

At the end of the day we had to clean out the skip of the dumper, you know how it works. Tip it up then feck high pressure water against the inside.

But that doesn&#39;t take all of the shit out, so you hit the arse of the skip with a sledgehammer at the same time. Not one of the nancy boy 9lb ones. The full scale 14lb persuader. If something doesn&#39;t want to go somewhere persuade it.

Anyway I was hammering away at this - full pelt, taking the swings from my arse, when someone shouted Jim. I turned round in mid swing, as my mate leant against the dumper.

Caught him right on his hand, well at least one finger - the middle one. It was like a cartoon, I kid you not the finger, from the last joint onwards was totally flat.

Turned out the whole bone had been crushed to nothing. He was a good lad tho&#39; went to casualty, got it sorted and we all went drinking. He never lost it, but it was a seriously weird shape after that.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Jeez Remind me never to work with you

I clouted my own leg with Gurtrude (my sledghammer 12lbder) right on the shin
    Man that hurt The funniest (well to look back on) was falling thru one of my own traps on scafold and getting stuck 3 hours I was there, no one was around I was in the middle of nowhere Eventually had to grit my teeth and force my way out, ripping the shit outta my arm in the procees

Like I say, funny to tell, I was in tears at the time tho
    I had a splinter 4 inches long driven in my tricep Ooo, that was fun to pull out

It&#39;s all good fun tho, we tell our stories and laugh, then go to bed and have nightmares about them

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Poster
    The only sensible solution is a substantial quantity of alcohol.

Gertrude is a wimp btw. Never use a hammer below 14lb. You are only insulting yourself and the target.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Originally posted by JPaul@12 August 2003 - 23:35

Gertrude is a wimp btw. Never use a hammer below 14lb. You are only insulting yourself and the target.
    You ain&#39;t never seen me and Gurtrude in action There ain&#39;t been a wall to stop us yet, altho a double skin engineering bick wall tried very hard.............but failed

Anyway, I can&#39;t be swinging a bigger one about I&#39;m dangerous with a pin hammer let alone a big un&#39;

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Poster
    Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS+13 August 2003 - 00:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JONNO_CELEBS @ 13 August 2003 - 00:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@12 August 2003 - 23:35

You ain&#39;t never seen me and Gurtrude in action There ain&#39;t been a wall to stop us yet, altho a double skin engineering bick wall tried very hard.............but failed

Anyway, I can&#39;t be swinging a bigger one about I&#39;m dangerous with a pin hammer let alone a big un&#39;

Jonno B) [/b][/quote]
    What&#39;s a bick wall - made out of, pens. That doesn&#39;t sound all that hard.

Oh and it&#39;s pronounced peen hammer where I come from.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast