Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Music Did You Grow Up With?

CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    I remember my father always having his stereo on, as he has always been into music. He always had a top of the line stereo system, and the music was always loud.......the way it should be!

From the late 60's to the early 70's I remember hearing Johnny Cash more than anything else.

The early 70's he played alot of Cream.

From the mid to late 70's it was The Beatles.

Late 70's to early 80's it was Rod Stewart and The Beatles.

During the early and mid 80's he was into The Rolling Stones and The Beatles.

A few fond memories are when he would play The Concert For Bangladesh, and during Christmas he would always put on The Elvis Christmas Album and The Ventures Christmas Album - still two of my favorites during the holidays!

When I was 11 or 12 years old, my cousin would stay with us from time to time. He was 16 or 17, and had his first car - you know, the one with the piece of crap stereo in it - and he was into Boston, Kansas, The Who, ELO and AC/DC just to name a few.......man do I remember listening to alot of his music while sitting in the backseat of his car wherever we were going.

I still love to listen to all of those artists, and more often than not I find myself being able to sing along word for word without having heard the song for many years.

I would have to say it was my Father who had the greatest influence on my musical taste.

Tchau!

2. Music   -   #2
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    I grew up listening to mostly my moms 70s classic rock and not I'm listening to progressive metal.

3. Music   -   #3
    merlin-1's Avatar Poster
    My folks did'nt listen to a lot of music but my neighbor was in a rock band. I spent quite a few nights over there listening to them practice.

4. Music   -   #4
    My parents always had the radio on in the kitchen (I should say have, as they are among the living) so I grew up on a steady diet of "classic rock" The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Bob Seager, the Who, Led Zeppelin, and so on and so forth.

My older sister was into music and about 6 years my senior. I used to raid her album collection, and later her tape collection, to listen to Van Halen, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Styx, the Firm, the Grateful Dead, Stevie Ray Vaughn, among others.

5. Music   -   #5
    My father only made noise when he farted , but there was a gramaphoneplayerthing. I used to get up early when i was 5. I played Vivaldi and Mozart and play, dance and act stupid with my sister. A dark period came when the Top40 recording on a tape recorder was all i knew. But at my 12 years : Carlos Santana "Moonflower", Jetro Tull, Inner Circle and a spacy 8 hour tape recorder (with pitch and echo ! wow) to play with sometimes, visiting my uncle.

My first record-buy was ACDC, on a verry crappy recordplayer. Later my sister had Punk, New Wave and Rock. Some i liked : Virgin Prunes, The Residents, The Clash, New Order, Kraftwork ...

When i was 15 i started buying records regulary: reggae ! , recording music from radios on tape : funk and soul. I had a stereo rack, i discovered windows could vibrate at home too. But i liked Prince too at this age (not any more since "Batman"). But i bought another recordplayer (with pitch) and the heat was on. Hip Hop came from the US to Europe and I loved it until '92. The rest is history B) I love Jungle and Drum & Bass ever since, and Jazz and a lot of other things. It all makes sense to me. I vote for Carlos, the inluencer !

6. Music   -   #6
    Poster
    my dad was a big motown fan so i grew up listening to this not really knowing anything about it, got into music myself when i was 10 or 11 and the first thing i bought was a u.k. subs 45, Warhead on brown plastic vinyl, still got it with most of my records,then got into the local scene(liverpool) the teardrop explodes, dalek i,bunnymen, to name but a few. a few years later i started playing the bass, and since then ive been into funk and soul as my main love, all those motown records
    i heard as a kid are now firm faves, how the past catches up eh!
    oh yeah the teenage drug dabblings with friends obviously got me listening to the usual suspects of pot music for a while there.
    max 80x80
    100kb

7. Music   -   #7
    When I was quite young it was mostly Soul (Motown, Stax, Etc), also some Beatles and Stones because my Mum liked them. My Dad, who was in the Navy, was away a lot hence my Mum probably influenced me more but when my Old Man was home he'd listen to Led Zepp, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Floyd, Cream, Little Feat, Brothers Johnson, Average White Band, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Yardbirds, Roxy Music, Bowie. Whereas my brother who is 8 years older than me was into The Clash, Pistols, Kraftwerk, Human League, Joy Division, Echo & The Bunnymen, New York Dolls. That was where I think my horizons were broadened and I started listening to more "undergroundtype" music. That in turn drew me towards my abiding passion for Hip-Hop, Electro, Rare Groove to name but a few!! The first record that I saved up and bought myself was "White Lines" by Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, it was the beginning of a long and very expensive "Vinyl Addiction" !!!

Trying to stay cool in this bloody heat!!

soopaman
    Signature removed

8. Music   -   #8
    im still growing up. on trance

9. Music   -   #9
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    well lets see when I was young 8 9 years old listened to Jimmy Brnes then got into 60s 70s stuff for learnign guitar grew up on that famous grunge era and now into the more Real Pwer Metal bands

10. Music   -   #10
    bluedevil's Avatar Antileech.Inc
    Originally posted by blkwolf21@13 August 2003 - 01:58
    im still growing up. on trance
    lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast