Thread: HTPC/MCE remote control

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Anyone know anything about them? I'm looking into them now and can't seem to find which are better or worse. ATM I have a wireless keyboard with a trackball on it and it works fine but I think I want a remote instead. Any help would be great guys

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    This is the one I got. Have a system with Vista Ultimate on it and when I hit the green Windows button, it pops up with Media Center But I guess most remotes r supposed to do this
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I was looking at this one I also have Vista Ultimate for the MCE

Anyware GP-IR01BK Windows Vista Infrared MCE

I figure for $20 how bad can it be

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post

Uhh, that things looks a little confusing :p probably bad layout. But whatever you like
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30

I presonally got my remote in the PVR bundle:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116631

It seems that the above remote have several cons.:
    1. Doesn't look like it has any IR blasters - I might got it wrong but if it doesn't and you have a PVR/HVR then it will be a serious con.
    2. No backlight - who gives a shit! Just dim your lights instead of turning them completely off.
    3. A bit messy layout - It seems like all the necessary buttons are there so you'll get used it it...

Bottom line: For 20 bucks i would get it since it has all the necessary features and the cost allows it to be replaceable (preferably by a universal remote).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    See now that looks cool but I have a DVR that I get from my cable company, I really only use the HTPC for watching the movies I download now. I think Im gonna go with the cheapo at first as I am still working out the kinks and this is more of a "Beta" HTPC Soon I want to get a really good looking, and prob expensive HTPC case too.

Also what is an IR blaster?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    See now that looks cool but I have a DVR that I get from my cable company, I really only use the HTPC for watching the movies I download now. I think Im gonna go with the cheapo at first as I am still working out the kinks and this is more of a "Beta" HTPC Soon I want to get a really good looking, and prob expensive HTPC case too.

Also what is an IR blaster?
    Does your DVR only records the media to a built-in drive or can it be connected to an external computer as well?

If it can be connected to a computer then you will probably be able to use it in Vista MCE which means that you will be able to schedule recordings from the MCE built-in, auto-updated guide and pause/resume live shows.

So though you probably already capable of doing the above from your DVR's built-in menus the concept of the MCE is to allow you to control all your media through one system (C=Center ).

IR Blaster is a device that can receive commands and translate them to to IR signals. In our case, it connects to the IR receiver of the MCE remote and will send IR commands to the cable's receiver in order to switch channels.
    This is an OK cheap solution in case you cannot afford a Digital Cable Receiver (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...ers-249252.php) or you have a provider that doesn't sell one (which shouldn't be a problem in your case ).

Let me know if you need any advice or help.
    Best of luck!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Ah thanks for the explanation. Well my box has a USB port for connecting other drives but Time Warner Cable disables this feature So Im beat this way

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ah thanks for the explanation. Well my box has a USB port for connecting other drives but Time Warner Cable disables this feature So Im beat this way
    Didn't you try to enable it?
    Post the model number...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Didn't know I could. It's a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC