Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you have homosexual friends/relatives?!

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by identity View Post
    It's 2008, I think people need to get over the homosexual issue by now. It's not the 60s anymore.
    Same with the race issue, I think.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by identity View Post
    I don't know anyone that has openly declared themselves to be homosexual. I have had some bisexual female friends.

Personally, I don't care about people's sexual orientations. I would consider myself to be extremely open minded compared to the average person. It's 2008, I think people need to get over the homosexual issue by now. It's not the 60s anymore.
    I have known many who have openly declared themselves to be homosexual. It is a case of 'so what'. Makes absosutely no difference.

Only once have I been taken aback(no pun intended). At the start of one academic year when when I was getting the students to introduce themselves to each other. Out of the blue, this student stood up and said 'I am XXXXX and I am bisexual'. For a moment you could have heard a pin drop. After that the whole class became completely relaxed and were more open then any class I have ever taught.

@ Kev. Very ambiguous statement.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I have known many who have openly declared themselves to be homosexual. It is a case of 'so what'. Makes absosutely no difference.

Only once have I been taken aback(no pun intended). At the start of one academic year when when I was getting the students to introduce themselves to each other. Out of the blue, this student stood up and said 'I am XXXXX and I am bisexual'. For a moment you could have heard a pin drop. After that the whole class became completely relaxed and were more open then any class I have ever taught.

@ Kev. Very ambiguous statement.
    I didn't have much to work with.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    kallieb's Avatar Spamaholic BT Rep: +4
    hmmm....

Coming out..as they say, is much more complex than just an 'in your face' declaration.

In spite of the statements suggested within this thread, being 'gay' in a number of societies - even ones that we consider very liberal - can be risky on a number of levels.

Diversity and tolerance both within a Society's institutions and legislation, as well as common values, is never absolute. It is irrefutable that where ever there exists difference, beside it will also exist judgement and condemnation.

In spite of a child hearing a parents or other family members words of love and acceptance each day of their life, there will exist that moment of doubt that judgement will be harsh if the truth of their 'gayness' comes out.

Imagery of such identify is clearly not the most positive overall, when one considers it critically.

Do a distortion of the Broverman study

how many terms do you consider when you say the word "gay". They compare that to how many words you consider when you think of the word "freak". Probably find a lot of parallels.

A gay person grows up within this same milieu, and at their core fears that which worries them the most. Rejection.

Regarding, the 'coming out' to one and all over and over in casual social situations as a way of introduction... the Hi, Im Joe and I'm gay....... hmmm.... I guess gay pride is one explanation. It's only been in the past few years that one could even whisper about being gay without fear of getting bashed. Another consideration is that it is indeed an "in your face" kind of pay-back. A game of "i dare you to call me a fag". You don't like it well you can go hide in the closet for a change.

Political correctness turned around . Shoe on the other foot so to speak.

Just some ramblings........
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Sometimes somebody have whispered to me: "do you know that xxxx is gay?... my answer, if any, is: ah ok, but... what was that so interesting thing you had to tell me?.

To me, being homosexual is like being blonde, tall, fat, funnny, idiot, serious, catholic, with glasses, samba fan, wise, or movie fan, itīs just other characteristic in the person.
    Iīve never given any relevance to that, I only give relevance to the person as person, the whole package... is he/she a good person or not?.
    I mean, if a guy or girl is good person, friendly, helpful, or for any reason I found that is worthy, I give 3 shits to his/her sexual preferences, tastes or whatever, as far those preferences donīt affect me or donīt go against my principles.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    it is this person who is compelled to whisper and gossip that forms the reason why so many gay people have a hard time being comfortable within their own identity. So often they know...always always know...there is someone around, never far away, that will point and snicker.... So humiliating...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Probably I may sound stupid (as a matter of fact I usually do)... but I donīt get the point of that "come out" thing. I tried to understand it, people have explained to me in many ways, and even some friends have made maps and diagrams for me and still donīt get it... I canīt, sorry.
    Why?... I canīt picture myself with my parents (if they would still be alive), my brother, uncles and aunts, cousins, closed friends, the dog and the parrot for telling them: "Dear family and beloved friends, I have a very important thing to tell you... I canīt keep this thing thatīs burning my chest and make my nights endless... I need to be free, I made my decision and itīs irrevocable... I canīt deny what I really am... so, here I go: I like women, I really do... itīs something stronger than me... I like them all... blonds, brunettes, asians, black, swedish... any woman... I die for them".

It would be ridiculous, right?... why should I have to tell my sexual preferences?, and if Iīd do that the next thing would be me in a mental institution.
    But it looks like gays have to do it... and again I ask... why?... why if a "straight" guy does it it would be absurd but if a homosexual is who confess his/her preferences is something brave, and the maximum proof of i donīt know what shit.
    Equality for me means that: we all are equal and have to do exactly the same.

Ah!... itīs because gays are not "usual" people, they are "different"... shit!, nobody is usual... we all are different, but nobody has to be explaining why the green eyes, the black skin, the 6 feet - 8 inches height, or why in the name of God somebody is Julia Roberts fan (although this should be forced to be explained in detail and with a lawyer assistance, in my opinion).

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    simply put...its about how comfortable things will be within the family once the relative starts to walk the talk so to speak. He/she brings home their first same-sex partner. How the family reacts to a marriage invite. How they'll manage/be comfortable with being around when affection is shared. Coming out is not just the moment. It's ... hey...can you handle the lifestyle that is about to come. After all, who would care if your straight sibling brought home an opposite sex partner. It is no big deal. For a gay person, well, they probably would not want to bring someone home who would be treated like pond scum, because. if key family members doth protest too much, then expect one less body at the dinner table for the next umpteen years.

That's just part of it.... i'll let others share
    Last edited by kallieb; 06-13-2008 at 08:12 AM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    When I moved out we had two neighbours next to our room who were homosexuals.
    1) They were neat and tidy
    2) I never heard them in sexual congress (they shared the room right next to ours)
    3) The only time I got pished was when I had to bark for them to turn the music down, which they sometimes did early in the morning (~11ish) after hard binge nights it was a pain in the arse.

So no, I have no prejudice. You can bonk who you like, as long as you don't come in my face asking for some secksual favour, I'm cool with wtv. It's your personal life, so.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Boutros's Avatar Poser BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Homosexuality is a bad thing...why? the answer is very simple...

How is life created? through a Man/Woman, if everybody were a homosexual, then there would be no life on this earth.

Also, if you are a devout christian, you will understand that your sexual organs were not given to you for your 'own pleasure', oh no, they were actually given to you so you could reproduce and give someone else life. Of course in this day and age everybody uses their sexual organs for their own pleasure which is unfortunate.

Lastly anybody who is a homosexual is most likely an atheist, you cannot be a christian and also a homosexual, it just doesn't happen that way, you might 'think' you are a christian but your far from it unfortunately.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast