Thread: Rip files from DVR?

Ya, I'm full of it.

Question Mark

Please forgive me if this has been a subject already. I have a SA 8300 DVR with the option of adding an external HD through esata. What I want to do is transfer some recorded content to my PC. I understand that the files may be either encrypted or Linux files. Here's the question, how would I go about doing this? Does anyone know of any resources for this specific request?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Well I also have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC my box is HD though. As far as I know the USB port is disabled on mine with Time Warner Cable but sagib has posted there may be a way around it, Im waiting for his reply

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ya, I'm full of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Well I also have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC my box is HD though. As far as I know the USB port is disabled on mine with Time Warner Cable but sagib has posted there may be a way around it, Im waiting for his reply
    Yes, the usb port is disabled pending some future functionality. With the Serial ATA port on the back you can record to an external drive in SATA compatible enclosure. My problem is getting the files from the HD to my PC.

Anybody??

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    Let me start off by saying that I have never done this but below is what I think would be the best path to take and is it doable I am not sure, but I will post it anyway.

Well the first step is finding out what file extension the DVR is using to record video and I am going to guess if you hook up your external sata drive to windows you should be able to browse its contents and if that don't work then maybe booting up with a live ubuntu linux cd and seeing if that could allow you to browse the drive and find out what file extension they are using, since I am pretty sure that once you know the file extension you can find some piece of software that can read it if it exists by googling it.
    Last edited by DKre8ive1; 05-28-2008 at 05:03 AM.