Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Loading Time And Features

Well the site has been slow for days now. Have read lots of information on whats possibly slowing things. Had gotten to the point to try anything actually. So Ive turned off some features such as avatars and whos viewing and others also. These features will remain turned off for now to test loading times on the site. Since changing these settings the site appears to be loading better now. Will likely add back those features again a bit at a time to find which is slowing things on the site...

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    2 Million Ways BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    a lot of users are inactive ,,their accounts should be pruned..

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I noticed avatars were off. hope it will be back to normal soon

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMalistic View Post
    a lot of users are inactive ,,their accounts should be pruned..
    That wouldn't affect bandwidth or load times whatsoever.

yo

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Could the fact that you now have your own pic section be the cause of the board slowing. If the pic section is in the same database therein lies your problem.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Could the fact that you now have your own pic section be the cause of the board slowing. If the pic section is in the same database therein lies your problem.
    It's not.
    I moved it to file system.
    Same with avatars and sigs, meaning disabling them was pointless.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    It's not.
    I am glad you think this is funny. If I can remember correctly this 'slowing down' started about the same time as the pic facility was introduced. It does not matter if you put them in the file system or any other system, if it is all on the same server it must slow it down when a lot of members that are using this facility are trying to log on. Remember, the avatars and sigs are limited by size and most members have their own avatars that are linked either to their own computer or another server Which does not affect this server one iota, just their personal computer.

It is worth a try.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    It's not.
    I am glad you think this is funny. If I can remember correctly this 'slowing down' started about the same time as the pic facility was introduced. It does not matter if you put them in the file system or any other system, if it is all on the same server it must slow it down when a lot of members that are using this facility are trying to log on. Remember, the avatars and sigs are limited by size and most members have their own avatars that are linked either to their own computer or another server Which does not affect this server one iota, just their personal computer.

It is worth a try.
    The 'pif facility' has been here for months and this slowdown started about a week ago (ignore the other problems we had before, this is a different issue...).

BTW, I just disabled the NZB Index about 20 minutes because that has always been a slow page. It badly needs optimizing. The thing is we've been using it for a long time without the site getting extremely slow because of it.
    Now 20 mins after disabling the site is running smoothly. Server load is pretty low now (lowest i've seen in the past week, while before then it would fluctuate between an extremely high level and a low level).
    Hopefully it can stay this way over night then I know what the problem is and can look for some help in improving it...

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Well done. That is the fastest I have seen it going for a long while.

For a couple of minutes anyway.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    It's not.
    When RealitY disabled some of these features, it did speed up for 10-15 mins. Then it kinda ran slow again. I suppose that was just a coincidence.

Anyways, currently runnin' at full speed
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast