Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm A Little Bored, So...

australian "supercars" are much like american ones...i.e. they don't exist

all the Holden is is a family saloon with a large engine and uprated brakes/suspension

it's a great car, but it's not a supercar

the holden is very much like an Audi RS6, which is a 4 door saloon (or estate), but it has 450bhp, and can do 0-100mph in 12 seconds dead. not bad for an estate
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    No offence intended, but when it comes to cars, Americans are just a bunch of spoiled brats.
    They want to sit in their cars like they are sitting in their livingrooms. I think there is just not a big enough market for American companies to get involved in that niche.
    So if you want to get some nice wheels, go Italian.
    That goes for bikes too. HD sucks&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Italian all the way&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Again, no offence intended, just my 2p.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I have owned many "musclecars", and still have a pile of parts waiting for the right piece of sheet-metal to fall in to my lap.

My very first car was a &#39;64 Tri-power GTO.

My last musclecar was a maxed-out (for the street, anyway) &#39;71 Mach I Super Cobra Jet 429; 1/4 mile in 11.2 @ 118 mph.

It must be granted the "Musclecar" was a peculiarly American phenomenon-for the most part, straight-line acceleration was of paramount concern, with handling a secondary consideration.

While time and technology (tires, etc.) has made it possible to extract reasonable handling from some of the old faves, it would be safe to say the only domestically-produced iron which could qualify as "super" would be the Corvette (probably the best performance value on the planet), and the Dodge Viper (also a good value/cost car).

While neither could be considered "cutting edge" when compared with the handful of hand-built European cars (with their attendant unmatchable sophistication), all things considered, they hold their own.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Poster
    Well look at the prices of the cars you listed. We just don&#39;t make that kind of money here. And we don&#39;t have a lot of "old money".
    The american automakers have contributed, the McLarens used GM engines. Ford has europian interests.
    There just isn&#39;t a market for any large production runs and that precludes any specially manufactured "supercars" from being thrashed on a track.
    There are many companies in California that produce some very radical cars though.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Originally posted by balamm@14 August 2003 - 07:15
    Well look at the prices of the cars you listed. We just don&#39;t make that kind of money here. And we don&#39;t have a lot of "old money".
    The american automakers have contributed, the McLarens used GM engines. Ford has europian interests.
    There just isn&#39;t a market for any large production runs and that precludes any specially manufactured "supercars" from being thrashed on a track.
    There are many companies in California that produce some very radical cars though.
    McLaren had a purpose built BMW engine
    Noble M12 GTO is more of a real world performance car than corvettes
    it&#39;d be interesting to see them on a track, on anything more tight than an oval, the noble would come out on top
    also, talking extreme overkill for track cars, the caterham r500 has the best performance to price ratio

it does hold the world record for 0-100-0mph, afterall, and only costs £36,200

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Poster
    McLaren and GM have worked together for some time and it is possible to buy a Reynolds Aluminum McLaren big block if you have the cash.

"As the original engine development company for Bruce McLaren Motor Racing, McLaren Engines has enjoyed a long heritage of racing success with General Motors&#39; powertrains -- beginning with our multiple Chevrolet-based, Canadian American Challenge (Can-Am) championships, through the front row (pole position) performance of the stock-block Buick V6 at the Indianapolis 500. Most recently, our continued involvement with GM Racing led us to LeMans, where we continue to accelerate as the engine development partner for the Cadillac Northstar Prototype (LMP) racer," said Steven Rossi, president and chief executive officer, McLaren Performance Technologies.

And the whole article >> http://www.blairracing.com/2002/team_news/...ews_011602.html

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    £ 32.000 in Europe.
    As a kitcar, that is.
    Dunno if they come ready-to-drive.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    a little confusion here, methinks...

i&#39;m referring to McLaren F1 as the McLaren F1 road car, which has a purely BMW engine built specially for the McLaren F1 road car...

here

@Ron, yeah, it comes as a kit or ready built, the £36,200 is for one ready-built in the UK

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Poster
    Ever seen the Dodge Viper

proud to be american

10. Lounge   -   #20
    merlin-1's Avatar Poster
    I personaly don&#39;t care for the European cars or the rice burners either. I&#39;m 6&#39; 3" so little cars don&#39;t interest me at all,I perfer good ole American muscle anyday.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast