Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm A Little Bored, So...

looking at balamm's sig, reminds me of the question i often ask myself: Why can't American's make supercars?

don't take this as a troll and please don't flame me (too much ), but apart from possibly the Mustang, there have been no American supercars.

by supercar, i'm talking of a car which is not only fast in straight long lines, but also in corners...

can anyone provide All-American supercars, or is everyone bored already?

p.s. Saleen S7 is part-built in the uk, so can't count...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    Mustang? You do NOT know cars&#33;
    Musclecars are not mass produced, poorly handling, cheap pieces of shit like Mustangs.
    Even Corvettes are too mass produced and frail to be considered a true musclecar.
    (or supercar as you put it)

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Originally posted by balamm@14 August 2003 - 06:01
    Mustang? You do NOT know cars&#33;
    Musclecars are not mass produced, poorly handling, cheap pieces of shit like Mustangs.
    Even Corvettes are too mass produced and frail to be considered a true musclecar.
    (or supercar as you put it)
    i said supercars, not musclecars...

and the first true musclecar (ac cobra) was based on a british car (ac ace)

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    the ac was not first. There were many others, the GTO actually beat the ac by several months, going into production for the 62 model year. Which means they were being produced in 61. Ac only had a prototype in 62 and production is questionable as there never were enough of them made in any early year to actually qualify as a "production vehicle" for most events.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    the gto may have been in production before the cobra (though the ace was in production before the gto), but that&#39;s not the point.

the question was why can&#39;t america make supercars?

also, there is a large difference between a musclecar and a supercar

for example, a musclecar, goes very, very quickly, when faced with a straight, however, a supercar goes very, very fast when faced with straights or corners

p.s. also, the cobra qualified for Le Mans more than once

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    Doesn&#39;t say much for le&#39;Mans then does it? A lotta wierd shit gets thrown in there.
    Daytona and most others require a minimum production run of 500 identical cars and that doesn&#39;t include prototypes or mockups.

I&#39;m guessing you&#39;ve never ridden in a GTO. You might be surprised at the handling for such a heavy car.
    The weight distribution ratio actually isn&#39;t that bad considering the weight of both the car and the engine.
    It&#39;s not much different from a chevelle of the same year. All were basically "A" bodies with a front end package that differed for each. The chevelles had a bit of weight advantage with the small block though. With the big block 396 option in the chevelle, the GTO was the winner with a LOT more torque. 450+ ftlbs in some cases.
    Most of the performance reviews you&#39;ll see were done on polyglass tires that were popular at the time. The GTO&#39;s can&#39;t use them. With fatter, softer radials, a lot has changed.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    no, i&#39;ve never ridden in a gto, sadly
    the closest i&#39;ve gotten was an american ex-police car (don&#39;t know what it was), that had a supercharged 5.7 litre V8.
    the handling on that was "interesting", and i walked away seasick after all the body roll

do you have any laptimes for gto&#39;s? i can&#39;t find any on tracks where comparison can be drawn between american and european/japanese cars

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    There weren&#39;t really any japanese cars around then. 64- 72ish. Hondas didn&#39;t arrive till the 80&#39;s. British cars weren&#39;t in the same league at all, Rovers don&#39;t generally roll off the boat ready to run at daytona and most other europian cars are just too damn expensive to chance body or engine damage.
    I&#39;d guess the australians would be the best source for some sort of comparison. They always ran a bit of everything including GTO&#39;s , strange Fords, and some japanese stuff.
    The real problem is how do you compare a 3800lb GTO to a 1700lb japanese shopping buggy? They drive different, the engines work differently, the tire sizes and wheelbases, are all too far apart to accurately show any comparison.

This is probably the best info I can get from the web right now >>

http://caranddriver.radicalmedia.com/membe...ber/anniv/1964/

9. Lounge   -   #9
    i&#39;m just talking about in the history of car production.
    for example, i could list 5 non-american supercars easily:

McLaren F1
    Ferrari F40
    Pagani Zonda
    Lamborghini Murcielago
    Porsche 911

however i find it very hard to list 5 bona-fide american supercars
    most american cars which claim to be supercars (and are in fact musclecars) are simply cars with very large engines, the dodge viper possibly being best known currently (8.0 litres for mark 1).

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Supercars...Australian Style

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast