Thread: New iMacs

kaffeine's Avatar No queda el tiempo
    Not a redesign, just some upgrades here and there, but a welcomed update on the iMacs.

Quote Originally Posted by MacRumors
    As predicted, Apple released new iMacs today. The new iMacs include faster processors bringing the low end up to 2.4GHz and with the top end reaching 3.06GHz. The high end 24" 3.06GHz iMac also introduces the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS (512MB) video card.

"The iMac’s gorgeous aluminum and glass all-in-one design has been an incredible hit with our customers and is just one of the reasons Mac sales are growing three and a half times faster than PC sales," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With the latest Intel processors, a faster new graphics option and more memory, customers now have even more reasons to love the iMac."

The iMacs also incorporate the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processors with 6MB L2 cache and faster 1066 MHz front-side bus (up from 800MHz). Specs are listed below:

20", 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128MB. $1199
    20", 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256MB, $1499
    24", 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256MB, $1799
    24", 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512MB, $2199

The new iMacs are available at the Apple Store.

Update: It appears that Intel is once again providing a custom chip for Apple in the 3.06 GHz top-end model. According to TGDaily the chip is still a Santa Rosa-era chip but the only technical difference between it and the upcoming X9100 "Montevina" CPU appears to be the a 11 watt TDP differential.
    source: MacRumors.

More info on MacWorld.
    Last edited by kaffeine; 04-29-2008 at 02:32 PM.
    This is just like that drug trip I saw in that movie while I was on that drug trip.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Hmm looks like everyone might want a Mac now.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    it's sad to see my imac bought last year getting old so fast.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    My neighbors just bought their new iMac the other day.
    I got to go set up things and teach them all about OSX.
    It's so nice.

Just wondering, anyone who's opened one up, are the newer iMacs gonna be really hard to upgrade? My mom has a G4 and it's nearly impossible to open up, and there's not much you can even replace in it all these years later. Good thing is it's worth a lot more than the PowerMacs from the time because it's kind of a collector's item. Anyway, are the newer iMacs the probably gonna be the same? Or is it easier to access internal parts?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lsw0794's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Quote Originally Posted by Grind$oFine View Post
    My neighbors just bought their new iMac the other day.
    It's so nice.

Just wondering, anyone who's opened one up, are the newer iMacs gonna be really hard to upgrade? My mom has a G4 and it's nearly impossible to open up, and there's not much you can even replace in it all these years later. Good thing is it's worth a lot more than the PowerMacs from the time because it's kind of a collector's item. Anyway, are the newer iMacs the probably gonna be the same? Or is it easier to access internal parts?

It's so nice.
    preety cool uhh
    Time and tide wait for no man