Thread: Cookies

wormless's Avatar Beauty
    y is it wen i click on a msg on board of someone i get a cookie alert i.e. student? so i block em

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    cause message boards use cookies.. dont block them.. nothing to be afriad of.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    Hmm.. Yeah, cookies are getting to be a real problem. An invasion, a proliferation, a serious threat to national security...

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Aberrant
    Quick!!!!

Bring in the secret weapon!!!

5. Lounge   -   #5
    wormless's Avatar Beauty
    i have blocked some cookies cus they contain students and i dnt trust them n i can still access the 4rums and posts

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    Student cookies? Isn't that illegal? Do they sell these openly and what must their loved ones think? How does their school explain the disappearances or does anyone care? Are the FBI aware of this?

It's not students that bother me so much as cookies that have nuts in them

7. Lounge   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    wormless's Avatar Beauty
    my security is set 2 high alert so i get to allow or block cookies. if i block em i.e. students ones n it allows me2 look at the site or post then i will block them but if it dnt allow me to look at the site or post then i will select allow after i block them jus 2 be on the safe side u never know with hackers these days

9. Lounge   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    In general it is safe to block '3rd party' cookies (cookies which don't go back to the server which sent them) and allow same server cookies, but you may still wish to block cookies from certain sites.

Check what sort of data is held in the cookies. Very often it is meaningless data (to the viewer) and merely retains preferences etc from previous visits. Cookies holding information such as password data (in clear text) are dangerous, I would certainly block cookies from sites which hold that sort of info. Encrypted passwords are ok for sites (such as this one) where you don't store any personal or financial information.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.