Thread: Woke up this morning with no video.

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I woke up this morning and went to check my email. When I moved the mouse, the monitor didn't wake. I rebooted and still nothing. I turned it off for a few minutes and then back on but still nothing, not even a post screen. I can only access my computer through remote desktop. I tried plugging the cable into the other DVI slot, but still no luck.
    I Don't have another DVI cable to test with, nor do I have another monitor or video card to test. My monitor's works with VGA.

Any suggestions?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Well, it's obvious that you're going to have to come up with a monitor to try OR pull your vid card and try it in another PC.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    yeah, was afraid of that. I think I'm gonna go to a local used computer store today and buy the cheapest pcie16x card I can find.

EDIT** Local stores are priced too high, ordering online now.
    Last edited by mbucari1; 06-11-2008 at 09:42 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    What card did you go with??

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127294

I bought one for my mom a few months back and it works well for everything except gaming. It's just temporary until I can buy a permanent replacement (that is if the card is the problem).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I had an LCD monitor fail to start for me one morning, turned out that the power cord, which plugged in the back (upwards), had worked its way down a bit and somehow was allowing enough power to the little led light but not the backlighting. After I pushed the cord back in it was fine. All newer LCD's plug in this way and forgoing any constant vibration they should stay in place. Maybe I had tugged on the cord without realizing it the night before.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks for the tip Appzalien, you've made me feel like a complete idiot!

I could have sworn that I checked all the plugs, but the DVI in the back of my monitor was a lil loose.

On the bright side, I now have a backup video card!
    Last edited by mbucari1; 06-16-2008 at 10:01 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Your not an idiot, your just a victim of todays compact designs. If my LCD's cords plugged in straight back I wouldn't have had that problem, but I would probably have complained that I couldn't put my monitor against a wall. I have 3 LCD's and all of them plug upwards and have a cover thats supposed to go on too, but boy that cover does not like to stay on there with the cords turning from downwards to back, pushing on it all the time.