Thread: DVD drive not reading Blank Discs

The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10

Question Mark

This afternoon, as I got ready for another burning spree, I started having a slight problem.

Everytime I put a blank disc in my drive nothing happens.

This is odd, because when I put a DVD disc with something in it, it is read, and yesterday I used this drive (which is also a DVD burner) to burn a DVD from this cake (where I'm taking discs from now that aren't being read).

Could anyone enlighten me as to what could be the problem here?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, as I need to clear up some major space, thus I need to get rid of these .imgs/.isos.

Regards,

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    We would need some more info here like the model of your burner and brand of media. Sometimes you get a bad batch of DVD's but I would lean more towards a messed up DVD drive maybe a firmware upgrade might help also your system specs couldn't hurt either.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Personally I think it's the lappie that's giving it's last screams. It couldn't be the case of a bad batch of discs, since I used one from this batch the day before yesterday successfully to burn a flick.

Since I was very frustrated with this situation (BTW to answer your querry I've a ASUS V6J lappie Detale), by googling that you can get the sysspecs in under a second, I bought a 750GB MyBook from Western Digital today.

Just got off the phone with WD customer support services and the cute dutch lady that answered me said the external drive goes on standby if after 10 minutes I'm not clicking or using it. This standby mode means it's not spinning, to avoid unnecessary overheating and the like, but the letter of the drive is still visible on the My Computer page.

Now my question is, can I seed on this baby if it's on standby? Looking at the FST experts here for a reply.

Cheers,
    Shaman

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Hmmmm Laptop eh yeah prob the drive then man sorry (

as far as seding goes sure I have 2 500 gig WD my books and I keep most of my files on them especially the bigger ones. and I have hadn problem seeding from them ever

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Would it pose any problem then to burn a .img/.iso straight from the WD (aka no transfer from the Xternal HD to the internal)?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    No sir none at all it will wake up when it is needed