Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob taking first steps

Lo all

Im only just starting to use usenet, ive found lots of stuff out and still really confused by lots of things but ill sort them out in due time with any luck

Anyway there are some things i would like to know now:

1) im a customer of virgin media in the UK and when i put news.viringmedia.com into the address bar, i get lots of groups. i am not currently subscribbed to any usenet news server but i still have access to some groups, how do i have access to these groups if im not paying for them?

2) some of the groups i have access to do not update... EVER! why?

3) i have managed to get a few files from the current groups i have, but when trying to use them the .rar's are either passworded or the .rar's werent all there (even after .par). So i have lots of useless files, if i get an account say with giganews how likley is it that the files i get are the real thing?

4) i currently have newsbins pro and newsleecher, although i like the newsleecher GUI its damn hard to make things work i find, opening files, getting rid of groups, all i get is constant error messages. Newsbins pro has a worse GUI but actually does what i tell it to do, what newsreaders would you recommend and why? Any other tips you can give a noob?

Thanks!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    #1 and 2 - I don't live in the UK and thus don't have any first hand knowledge about the workings of Virgin media. I'll let someone else tackle that issue.

#3 - It sounds like you're using your ISP's free news server. That's why you're ending up with an abundance of incomplete or partial downloads. ISP's are renowned for having very low retention rates and users end up with incomplete batches. If you get an account with Giganews, you'll see that percentage drop to zero. I use them and don't recall if I've ever had an issue with incompletes that was their fault. It just doesn't happen.

#4 - I agree with your assessment of Newsleecher, though some will swear by it. My preference is Alt.Binz. The program and UI is completely editable any setting you can imagine is listed within the preferences.

ps - Welcome to FST!

yo

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    #1 and 2 - I don't live in the UK and thus don't have any first hand knowledge about the workings of Virgin media. I'll let someone else tackle that issue.

#3 - It sounds like you're using your ISP's free news server. That's why you're ending up with an abundance of incomplete or partial downloads. ISP's are renowned for having very low retention rates and users end up with incomplete batches. If you get an account with Giganews, you'll see that percentage drop to zero. I use them and don't recall if I've ever had an issue with incompletes that was their fault. It just doesn't happen.

#4 - I agree with your assessment of Newsleecher, though some will swear by it. My preference is Alt.Binz. The program and UI is completely editable any setting you can imagine is listed within the preferences.

ps - Welcome to FST!
    Thanks for the reply and welcome!

Alt.binz looks really good, lite like utorrent compared with others

I thought i might be on my ISP's usenet servers but the only reason i ask is because i have found some very... dark named groups, kiddy stuff... and i thought why would an isp be hosting these types of files, still make me wonder why they have these groups here.

Some thing else i forgot to ask is,

1) i am a member of many torrent sites, i go on sites like demonoid and stuff mainly becuase they have a great selection and also becuase of greatly detailed explantion. Are there sites out there that show you what the latest releases are and where to find releases?

2)Currently all i am seeing is jibberish in every title, if i go to say giganews will they be more clearly labelled?

3) im now using Alt.binz, its nice and easy to use, setup was kinda akward, but i just cant figure out how to get the text stuff off group, i think they are called headers?

Thanks for the help and i apologise for asking!
    Last edited by JadeFox; 06-14-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: soo many questions so little time :/

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    munkyboy04's Avatar Monkey Mafia BT Rep: +3
    Im on VM and the reason you can get some things working on virgin media news is because you get 7 days retention an Binaries (soon to be 14). So most of the new files you find will work. However anything older than a week you'll need a premium server.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    7 days? That explain it all.

JadeFox - You should just signup for a Giganews trial account. I think they're something like 10GB.

As to your question about headers, I wouldn't even bother, what with a thorough selection via NZB sites. Plus, there are also great search engines like Newzleech and even Binsearch.

As for the explanations which are written at Bittorrent trackers (presumably by the uploader) you can find those on some NZB sites as well. Just as an example, here at FST we put an image, and links to relative content, as well as the NFO. We keep NZBs for 70 days and other sites like Merlinsportal, while having a less comprehensive collection, keep NZBs for much longer. I find that a culmination of sites is the way to go, but I find that FST has 99% of anything I'm looking for so long as the release is recent.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeFox
    Currently all i am seeing is jibberish in every title, if i go to say giganews will they be more clearly labelled?
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean there...

yo

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    As to your question about headers, I wouldn't even bother, what with a thorough selection via NZB sites. Plus, there are also great search engines like Newzleech and even Binsearch.
    So you mean i cant read hearders with news bins? why not?

As for the explanations which are written at Bittorrent trackers (presumably by the uploader) you can find those on some NZB sites as well. Just as an example, here at FST we put an image, and links to relative content, as well as the NFO. We keep NZBs for 70 days and other sites like Merlinsportal, while having a less comprehensive collection, keep NZBs for much longer. I find that a culmination of sites is the way to go, but I find that FST has 99% of anything I'm looking for so long as the release is recent.
    Nice, this was EXACTLY what i was looking for! thanks!! are there anymore sites out there like this?

Currently all i am seeing is jibberish in every title, if i go to say giganews will they be more clearly labelled?
    Uhh lets say im downloading somethings like mass effect update, i search for it and instantly all i see is a load of crap like file name: "idnaiwnda/dawfmif219018041.mass.effect.updatemfhdwahdiub1019781!21"

its really irritating, why not just clean it up to mass effect, also i was wondering if it is all like this, even on giganews

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    So you mean i cant read hearders with news bins? why not?

You can, but the point is, you don't need to. Search engines like the one I linked update almost immediately. Plus, you can search them right from Alt.Binz.

Nice, this was EXACTLY what i was looking for! thanks!! are there anymore sites out there like this?

FST is the best in this department, hands down. Newzbin is a good site as well, though I find their UI to be messy and thus don't use it. It also has a small monthly cost as well. Check it out tho', you might like it.

Uhh lets say im downloading somethings like mass effect update, i search for it and instantly all i see is a load of crap like file name: "idnaiwnda/dawfmif219018041.mass.effect.updatemfhdwahdiub1019781!21"

its really irritating, why not just clean it up to mass effect, also i was wondering if it is all like this, even on giganews[/QUOTE]

I'm not certain why that particular file is appearing like that.

Newzleech is great for searching files, even if you're a bit miffed at the file names.

You can view Usenet postings by how they appear once they're indexed or you can choose to simply view the same content as a post if that helps. Honestly though, it's just a format that you'll need to get accustom to.

yo

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Many thanks to all youve been a great help!

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    hi with virgin meida they have not got many groups now as i was useing them as a spare one on my email accout and they have just took load of the best ones off like movies/music/tv like it as been said giganews is the best have never had any proplems with them the one i have had proplems with is newsgroupdirect they are the w---ers about newsleecher is abit hard to sort if you are a noob as you have to sort all your prevs out yourself newsbin is ok but out off the two newsleecher is the best if you are still thinking of getting a free newreader get nbzleecher it as a good search bar added in the program

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Thanks for the advice.

Im using alt.binz at the moment and im having trouble with my finished downloads.

1) I have alt.binz on my PC and on my laptop, i have one file about 8gb on my pc, i donwloaded it 100% complete and it unpared itself successfully. howeverwhen it got to unraring it ALWAY gets to 56% and freezes everytime at that exact point.

i cant open the files with winrar because everytime i go 'open with > winrar' nothing happens and it wont add to my open with list, what can i do?

2) Also with my laptop i have downloaded a 4gb group of files, but i had not installed quickpar, so when my download finished, i dont think it has unpared itself (still using alt.binz) and the file is sitting there with a red par2 icon, i installed quickpar but nothing has changed. what can i do here?

when trying to open with winrar i get a message 'filename.r66: unexpected end of archive' error message

3) i left my laptop downloading using alt.binz and when i came back it stopped downloading, it was only until i clicked something did it start downloading again, i have noticed this a few time with alt.binz, is this a common bug, is there a fix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast