Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Blackouts In Usa

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    The power's cut off, I thought you would have known that by the title of the thread

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

3. Lounge   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Could it have anything to do with the apparent poor performance this evening ?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    I know i might sound like some paranoid geeky kid or something, but something like this happens, it always smells fishy!
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

5. Lounge   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    It sounds like the whole grid has too much interdependency. As a consequence, a small overload causes sections to trip out. This in turn leaves power stations with nowhere to send their power, so they begin to shut down. This in turn causes overload on sections of the grid...

Early reports said there was a fire at a power station in NY, but this turned out to be black smoke caused by shutting down the boilers. But were they shutting down the boilers because they had nowhere to send the power, or did their boiler shutdown trigger the overload ?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    All they have been reporting is that the blackout was caused by "technical problems". Whatever that means.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Got_brains?'s Avatar Poster
    There is a power down all across the grid for Ny-New Jersey approx.

There is "No evidence of terrorism at this time".

Apparently it was a over load and the main computer shut down everything as a precautionary measure.

I live in Fl, so I have power.

All off Fox News.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Originally posted by dingoBaby@14 August 2003 - 18:38
    All they have been reporting is that the blackout was caused by "technical problems".&nbsp; Whatever that means.
    Anything happens its always technical. The reality is revealed much later when the matter settles down&#33;

Edit:spelling
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Originally posted by I.am+14 August 2003 - 19:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I.am @ 14 August 2003 - 19:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dingoBaby@14 August 2003 - 18:38
    All they have been reporting is that the blackout was caused by "technical problems".&nbsp; Whatever that means.
    Anything happens its always technical. The reality is reveales much later when the matter settles down&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Like some Homer Simponish clod spilling his Mountain Dew all over the contols.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Originally posted by lynx@14 August 2003 - 18:36
    But were they shutting down the boilers because they had nowhere to send the power, or did their boiler shutdown trigger the overload ?
    Could be either way no proof yet.

Elsewhere,
    Frank McCarton, deputy commissioner for the Office of Emergency Management, said the blackout may have originated in Canada. "We understand that, from Con Ed, that we had a power surge and a dip and a failure that originated in Ontario," McCarton said.

Everything is so much technology dependent now that electronically an overload can be caused&#33; by sending too much power somewhere&#33;

Results:
    Major traffic blockage.
    Ten nuclear power plants went off line because of the power outage, according to the North American Electric Reliability Council, an industry group responsible for the security and integrity of the nation&#39;s electric grid.

Traffic signals were rendered inoperable, and emergency officials urged motorists to stay off the roads.
    The Federal Aviation Administration temporarily grounded planes at New York area airports and in Cleveland because the blackout affected security screening facilities. The FAA reported planes also were grounded at the Toronto airport. The airports were operating on backup power, officials said. [QUOTE]

Makes you think huh&#33; -_-

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast