Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bittorrent - XP or VISTA?

21122012's Avatar Minger BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I did search but couldn't find the answer.

I'm thinking of switching from XP to Vista SP1 (just to give it a try) Think my PC can handle it:

AMD Athlon 64 64bit 2ghz
    1GB Ram
    200Gig SATA HD

My question is this, from a Bittorrent/filesharing point of view is there any drawbacks to using Vista? I heard a while back about some anti-piracy measures within the OS!

Can anyone who has made the switch please let me know if its worth it? Any bad points to consider?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by 21122012; 06-15-2008 at 10:40 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    forthat's Avatar ha..ha ..ha.. BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    i think 1 gb cann't hold vista.......

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    turin's Avatar Turambar BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    Vista demands alot of your pc. I installed vista a couple of month ago but did not like it, and have now reinstalled XP. I could not see any big advantages of vista compared to xp except it looks more fancy. And the big down side is that it demands a lot of your pc, it took about 1gb ram and 15gb hd sapce :-(

I recommend: dont use vista

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    TidusBlade's Avatar Watermelon Knight BT Rep: +3
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it Basically, if your happy with XP, I recommend you don't switch. IT runs okay on 1GB until you try encoding and other heavy tasks...
    In my opinion, from a file sharing perspective, your OS doesn't matter so much, I just find it much more frustrating on Windows with all the proprietary software

In my biased opinion, you should try out Linux, it's better in all aspects except gaming
    Last edited by TidusBlade; 06-15-2008 at 06:31 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    i would switch OS if you have a really fast pipe (at least 100mbit)... vista should handle better the tcpip stack......

but linux would beat both.........................

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    1GB ram would prob run but very very slowly so wait until you upgrade your rig. Vista is very system intensive not to mention a bomb program. Windows 7 is coming out this year I think so I would say wait for that Vista will got the way of Windows ME and be forgotten as a good looking steaming pile of crap

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    1GB ram would prob run but very very slowly so wait until you upgrade your rig. Vista is very system intensive not to mention a bomb program. Windows 7 is coming out this year I think so I would say wait for that Vista will got the way of Windows ME and be forgotten as a good looking steaming pile of crap
    Good point. Microsoft has been working overtime to create a new OS.
    I think it says a lot how they have shorten the potential lifespan of the system after investing so many billions to develop it.
    Like yayyyyy said unless you've got some super connection you're probably better off staying where you are.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    BANNED BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I think you should use XP.

I tried using torrents with Vista and it didn't work out so well..

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    kaffeine's Avatar No queda el tiempo
    My brother just bought a pc with 3G on RAM and a 2.4GHz intel, and the thing still runs like shit. Vista has this thingy that gives you a "score" based on your config. (0 - 10) and my brother's give a 3.9

You'll have to invest a lot more in hw to have it running like a decent OS. Just stick to XP as long as you can (or even better, migrate to linux or OS X).
    This is just like that drug trip I saw in that movie while I was on that drug trip.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    MODERATION BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Use Xp. It will be the best for that Pc.
    Last edited by Scavenger; 06-15-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast