Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Azureus is Dead, Vuze Goes Social

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    After 5 years, the popular BitTorrent client Azureus is no more. The Vuze

team has officially abandoned the Azureus name and the new “social” BitTorrent client is now completely integrated into the Vuze content distribution platform.

Over the years, Azureus turned into one of the most feature-rich clients, backed by a dedicated team of developers and an active community.

“Whilst we recognize the strength of the Azureus name and the frog, it is only associated with our original BitTorrent application. As we move towards creating an all-in-one application for finding, playing and sharing great content, that goes beyond the realm of just a BitTorrent client, we wanted to change our name to reflect that, but bring with us the frog who is such a part of our heritage,” Gilles added.

Today, Vuze comes with a brand new release of their client (v3.1), introducing several new features. One of the most drastic changes is the new social layer that has been added to the client. Vuze users are now able to add friends, share torrents with friends, and give friends a speed boost when you are downloading the same torrent.
    The new client also includes a meta-search engine that allows you to search across several popular BitTorrent sites, in addition to content from Vuze.com. The search functionality is completely customizable, so you can add you personal favorite if it’s not already included.

Unfortunately, there will not be a Vuze client available without the Vuze platform integrated. Gilles told TorrentFreak: “We are focusing our efforts on delivering against our vision of creating an all-in-one application that enables users to find, download, play and share in one streamlined application.”

“We have started on a path of creating an all-in-one application that enables users to find, play and share torrents. In particular, we believe that by enabling users to share content and bandwidth through the “Friends” feature we are adding a completely new dimension to peer-to-peer - a new social dimension, or what we call ’social P2P’,” Gilles said.

Azureus is no more, the name change is permanent. On the one hand this is a step forward, as the new interface and functionality will appeal to new users. However, it has also caused quite a heated debate among both developers and users who were happy with the classic UI. Although, it’s a bit hidden, the original interface still remains accessible with the UI switcher. Time will tell if it is the right move.

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/azureus-is-d...social-080616/
    Homepage: http://torrentfreak.com/
    Last edited by Skizo; 06-17-2008 at 08:11 PM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    never liked Azureus. but when i tried the Vuze edition last year i was like WTF.

Utorrent ftw

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    vuze IS trash. that's why i'm an old school user of azureus 2.5 (utorrent users are being watched. fact.). am wondering if the old client will work in the future.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Hanz™'s Avatar making the world go BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    vuze IS trash. that's why i'm an old school user of azureus 2.5 (utorrent users are being watched. fact.). am wondering if the old client will work in the future.
    utorrent users are not being watched. Are you stupid?

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    There were unsubstantiated reports that older versions of utorrent had certain vulnerabilities through which user information could be accessed.
    That's why most tracker's won't allow older versions of utorrent to be used.
    Supposedly fixed now but apparently not everyone is so sure.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    vuze IS trash. that's why i'm an old school user of azureus 2.5. am wondering if the old client will work in the future.
    blah:

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php..._Vuze.22_crowd

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS
    i tried out vuze and i wasn't impressed. it seemed to have a commercial look. granted i never liked azureus but it was more bearable than the vuze interface. utorrent ftw

edit: apparently me and stoi have some of the same views most importantly utorrent ftw
    Last edited by WHiKWiRE; 06-18-2008 at 01:40 AM.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    I think when they started to spread Vuze, Azureus marketshare dropped even more than it has anyway.
    Vuze is definitely not useful if you just want to torrent your files like you always did.
    Last edited by Sonnentier; 06-17-2008 at 10:37 PM.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Vuze is cool but I think joost is a bit better so far.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    No, a real fact is that some members of this site are not very bright.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast