Thread: Seeding

Question Mark

I am, admittedly, a n00b when it comes to the bittorrent scene. I understand the basics of how to get what I want onto my computer, but other than that, I know nothing. I just signed up for a site that requires you to seed and have a ratio [whatever that is] and I need to know how to set things up so I do meet the requirements, and am not banned. In case it helps, the site is BoxTorrents.com.
    Last edited by coolbass06; 06-17-2008 at 04:49 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Bionic's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Hey there,
    Welcome to the Torrent Game.

1. Never Hit n' Run.
    2. Grab Fresh uploaded torrents like one of these Lost Series, download a few files from the torrent and keep it to seed for a few days, unless many people is gonna grab it.

Another way:
    If you've previous torrents from aXXo or Replica, then you can find it at your new tracker and just download the same torrent name with your file and there you can seed without downloading it.

Try this 2 links:

How To Buffer Your Accounts - A simple guide by Torrent-Source.net
    http://torrentfreak.com/

Goodluck!
    Twitter: @alhassoni
    Stay tuned. I could say something brilliant at any moment.

DL Speed: 1MBps | UL Speed: 228KBps

Speaks: English, Arabic, German, Tagalog(Filipino), Spanish and Chinese

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    Hey there,
    Welcome to the Torrent Game.

1. Never Hit n' Run.
    2. Grab Fresh uploaded torrents like one of these Lost Series, download a few files from the torrent and keep it to seed for a few days, unless many people is gonna grab it.

Another way:
    If you've previous torrents from aXXo or Replica, then you can find it at your new tracker and just download the same torrent name with your file and there you can seed without downloading it.

Try this 2 links:

How To Buffer Your Accounts - A simple guide by Torrent-Source.net
    http://torrentfreak.com/

Goodluck!
    Everything that you need to know should be explain in the FAQS and the rules on your trackers but I 'll just explain a couple basic things here.

In case you aren't aware hit and running that bionic refers to is immediately canceling a torrent after you have downloaded it without seeding it back. That is a definite no-no and on some sites will get you banned in a big hurry.
    Always keep your torrent running until you have seeded(uploaded )back as much as you have leeched (downloaded).The longer the better.The idea is to always give back at least as much as you take(that's why it's called file sharing)

Initially the best practice is look for small torrents with few seeds and many leeches .This is how you build a buffer against the times that you can't seed back to 1:1 ratio.
    The second thing bionic mentioned just grabbing a few files of a much larger torrent is called partial seeding and it is looked down upon in most circles as bending of the rules so I don't recommend that you do it.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Also, he recommends seeding without leeching, which is OK but some sites prohibit it. Make sure to read siterules, as each tracker has it's own version of the conductbook.

Happy torrenting!

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Mr. UKTV BT Rep: +1
    check the torrent sites tutorials. ive come across some great stuff in those sections!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    slimdogp's Avatar Token White Kid BT Rep: +1
    What torrent client are you using?

I highly suggest utorrent 1.7.7 stable (utorrent.com) Its a very easy to use yet effective client.

Keeping a ratio is a simple concept. If you download a movie that is 700MB, if you upload back (or SEED) back the exact same 700MB, that is a 1.0 ratio. This is considered the standard on most sites, it means you are sharing back what you have taken. Of course you can let it go for longer, seeding to a 2.0 ratio (1400MB) or even higher!

As was previously stated, this is quite easy. When your download was finished, just allow the torrent to keep running on its own, it will upload data back to others. Its best to leave your computer on and seeding 24/7 if possible.

Good luck and welcome

-slim

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    Boxtorrents is a PUBLIC tracker. You do not have to register to leech and thus you can avoid with ratio, H n R policies etc. But in case you do register and leech from you account, read their FAQ.

They don't directly punish for low ratio (from what i know) but if u don't have ratio >1 then u can't be Power User hence will not be able to make requests.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Bionic's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Go ahead and try some websites with real game, the best which is open signup at the moment would be www.nordic-t.org. Keep asking around, everyone will help. ^^
    Twitter: @alhassoni
    Stay tuned. I could say something brilliant at any moment.

DL Speed: 1MBps | UL Speed: 228KBps

Speaks: English, Arabic, German, Tagalog(Filipino), Spanish and Chinese

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    NPAX1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Yeah, most private trackers will have the basic guide in the FAQ section of the site.