Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice on the HTPC build

tt189
    Thank you for posting this topic. I also want to know about that.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Villain's Avatar Web Designer BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    How about which OS to use? Any special plugins so I can control PC with remote?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Well my case came with the highly regarded Imon software. Personally I don't care for it much. It's not terrible but I use Vista( I hate the OS but it has Media Center) for this though you can get a copy of XP media center edition but I tried both and Vista works better and faster. Also I remember I came across a "media center edition converter" somewhere it converts regular XP to MCE without doing a reinstall.

Pretty sure you can buy a remote that comes with software as well. Some like mine will even allow you to turn the computer on AND off, most I saw only allowed you to power down not power up.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    Something like this or this maybe?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by silent h3ro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    Something like this or this maybe?
    Well I actually don't need remote because I am gonna use Harmony One. But I am looking for good OS for HTPC.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Yes but even with the Harmony 1 you will need a USB stick of some kind so the computer can read the signal to my knowledge it doesn't come with one, or does it???

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    I started planning about my massive storage server for movies/music/pics/games...
    I will use this case for server. Its very cheap and it can hold 20 drives. Basiclly how server should work: I hold all my files at server and lets say I want to see a movie with my friends, I use my HTPC and trought network connections copy movie to HTPC hard drive (there wouldn't be any streaming and stuff...). What hardware & software will I need. Oh yea I plan to start with 6x 1TB Seagate drives in RAID 5 or RAID 6 (still have to decide ). When I fill this drives can I simply buy more and plug them without losing data or there will be some complications?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    That's a cool idea, Villian. I would buy only as many drives as you would need at first and then buy more as you need them since hard drive prices go down so quickly, you can save more money that way and not feel like you would have wasted space. I'm personally not familiar with making a server so I couldn't help you out about what else you would need though, sorry.

Do you think you would be able to fill it with 20 drives?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    @ Villan Dude you don't need tpo copy em and decent router even wireless you can stream them with no problems at all. Set up a network and set the folders that hold your movies/pics/whatever to "shared" then on your HTPC you can browse the folders and play em with windows media player or whatever you wish just as if they were on your HDD already with no hassle and no extra software either Hardware wise I recommend get yourself a Wireless PCI card so you don't have to run any cables and a wireless router, G works fine for me but now I have N and it's still fine.

As far as Raiding the drives I am 90% sure you cannot add a drive to a raid 5 array unless you are using a contorller card that supports thiis. Even still backup before you add because no matter what there is a risk involved. I still think that you can't do it without wiping the drives and creating a new array.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by silent h3ro View Post
    That's a cool idea, Villian. I would buy only as many drives as you would need at first and then buy more as you need them since hard drive prices go down so quickly, you can save more money that way and not feel like you would have wasted space. I'm personally not familiar with making a server so I couldn't help you out about what else you would need though, sorry.

Do you think you would be able to fill it with 20 drives?
    Well media servers are each day more popular because of the cheap price of HDD's.
    Well if I buy 20x1TB HDD's and connect them on RAID5 or RAID6 I'd have 16TB-18TB of space. Because I mostly download untouched blu-ray movies (20GB-50GB per movie) that would mean I could store just 500 movies but considering I also want server for music, games, tv shows and other stuff that just wouldn't be enough. If I needed more then 20 drives I would just buy one more Norco case. And problem would be solved.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast