Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice on the HTPC build

silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Not to mention when people come over I enjoy the when they ask what's That?
    lol There's a good enough reason right there.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    LOL People are very surprised to find out what a nerd I am, even my wife. One thing that they don't tell you anywhere I can find is that the USB/headphone jack cover and the DVD tray cover both have an awesome "delay when you close/open them. So when you put in a dvd the tray cover closes slowly a seconds or two after the tray does giving it a very cool and high end feel to it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    Do you basically just watch films on it then? I im curious to what else you can do. For example can you record live telly with it?

My name is Dan for the people who care!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid_death69 View Post
    Do you basically just watch films on it then? I im curious to what else you can do. For example can you record live telly with it?
    Amazing, I was going to ask a similar question myself.

Namely, is there a TV tuner in there, and if so what software are you using.

I got myself a twin tuner TV card (DVB-T) a couple of weeks ago and I've been trying to find some decent software for it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    ATM I just watch Blue Ray movies and the regular Xvids I get. Also I have it connected to a pair of speakers so I can use it like a Stereo as well. I am looking into getting a tuner card right now actually so then I will be able to record TV as well. The problem is I don't know enough about tuner cards to make an informed purchase yet. I am looking for something that has an HDMI in and out. Again Im not too sure about software for is as I am still reading up an TV tuner cards them selves, sorry when you do get it figured out please drop me a line. Thanks

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    lynx's Avatar .
    I don't think there are any tuner cards with HDMI ports. The reason being that the signal has to be processed first, so your graphics card (or a third party editing card) would deal with output (and input) of the processed signal.

Watch out for the software for digital broadcasts, most of it has been converted from analog tuner software, and they haven't grasped the concept of a signal being present without all the channels being transmitted. Consequently they only pick up the channels which are currently being broadcast, which means it doesn't work when one channel is only broadcast during the day, and another channel takes the same bandwidth (but with different channel IDs) at night. Definitely try before you buy.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    NM wrong section
    Last edited by Detale; 07-25-2008 at 03:07 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    There is a HDMI capture card but not sure if it could record shows that are flagged with C5(I think think that is what the copy protection is called) but you can always use the analog hole and use the Component connection to capture your shows.

But the price for this card is pretty steep being that it costs $350.00US

Link-> http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Villain's Avatar Web Designer BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I am also building myself a new HTPC. It will play blu ray discs and 1080p content. I decided to use:

GIGABYTE GA-MA70G-DS3H
    AMD Phenom X4 9550
    Seagate Baracuda 500GB
    1x2GB RAM

What case would you recommend me? It should be in silver color or even better in white.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by DKre8ive1 View Post
    There is a HDMI capture card but not sure if it could record shows that are flagged with C5(I think think that is what the copy protection is called) but you can always use the analog hole and use the Component connection to capture your shows.

But the price for this card is pretty steep being that it costs $350.00US

Link-> http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
    I did see that myself but I wasn't sure about it because I want a tuner card not just a capture card myself and I feel like $350 is a bit much o spend for something I'm not too sure about.

Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    I am also building myself a new HTPC. It will play blu ray discs and 1080p content. I decided to use:

GIGABYTE GA-MA70G-DS3H
    AMD Phenom X4 9550
    Seagate Baracuda 500GB
    1x2GB RAM

What case would you recommend me? It should be in silver color or even better in white.
    Well the first thing is price, how much do you want to spend? They do have a similar silver case like mine

but it is $469

One thing to remember about a case is can it fit my Motherboard Newegg has 16 silver cases that will take a full size ATX board like the one above here. I like this one for $200 Thermaltake Mozart Sx

Another question I have for you is are you going for a Blu Ray burner or just a rom, and what models are you looking at? I am waiting for Burners to come down in price a lot before I get one I figure I can download all the blueray content I need for now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast