Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overseeding worst then HNR ?

monk3y's Avatar Pirate's Life for me BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Lately i've noticed that overseeding is as bad if not worst then HNR,

the reason is that people with 100/100 seedboxes get the file quick and start seeding and get to a 1:10 ratio and even higher and they doesn't let the other normal - home connection users seed the file to 1:1 ( which should be all users goal, and not 1:10 ratio ).

what is your opinion ?

Do not pm me requesting for invites as i have none to spare
    Signature & Avatar Rules

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    NPAX1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    A lot of trackers have seeding time limits that compensate for the 1:1 ratio, i.e. seed for 78 hours at least.

"Overseeding" or how you described it, is what provides the great speeds for the "homeusers," so complaining about them is kind of double-edged. Now I understand that seedboxes can make it hard for users without them to seed, and if I understand it then tracker admins must understand as well, so of course there are other compensations such as minimum seedtimes.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    to compensate for that is having low ratio requirements. some sites have no ratio requirements.

no, overseeding is not worse than hit and running. in fact they are quite opposites.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Even in sites with no ratio requirements overseeding by some makes it much more difficult for others to progress in user class(which unfortunately is still mainly based on amount uploaded).

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Even in sites with no ratio requirements overseeding by some makes it much more difficult for others to progress in user class(which unfortunately is still mainly based on amount uploaded).
    obviously.. people who pay for good internet connections are the ones that drive the sites (well, plus the uploaders, but they are also in this group), not the people with the basic internet packages.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    There is no such thing as overseeding.
    Most guys with 100/100 are associated with site admin/mod etc so they are promiting the site using that box.
    and those boxes give great download speed to home users.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    LOL pro seedboxes are not uncommon these days.. in some places where internet is very expensive it's cheaper to seedbox to get your upload

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    obviously.. people who pay for good internet connections are the ones that drive the sites (well, plus the uploaders, but they are also in this group), not the people with the basic internet packages.

plus all the ppl on non-0day sites, with your basic package, who keep em rarer torrents alive by seeding them long time
    which is something of the past I suppose
    "That was a great speech. If McCain wins, he'll owe it to Sarah Palin."
    "We're fucked. I think."

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Overseeding, is not as bad as hit and running.

But yes it can be a problem.

User on a home connection, seeds his ass off for days, but cant get anywhere close to PU because of 20 other members seeding 50 copies of the same torrent.

So that user than goes and buys a seedbox, to try to become a PU, but in turn, Overseeds and just adds to the problem.

I sort of agree with Idoleyes787 on this one.

Promotion based solely on Upload is not the way to do it, the problem is, its been done that way for so long now, its hard to change it to anything else.

We are looking at ways on BCG though, but there has been a million and 1 ideas about this alone lol

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by chamaeleo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L. View Post

plus all the ppl on non-0day sites, with your basic package, who keep em rarer torrents alive by seeding them long time
    which is something of the past I suppose
    Yeah that's a good point. Overseeding IS a problem on waffles, where I've seen my invitees get burned on the 0day comics lol. same with KG where I had to seed a popular torrent 6 friggen months to hit 1:1.

It really depends on the purpose of the tracker

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast