Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Seedbox with Ubuntu..READ

midnightalker's Avatar Poster

Urgent

Hi again..I just got my seedbox info. For the record, seedhost.eu is excellent. But there is a small problem...
    I can't do anything.I don't know HOW!!
    So I REALLY need your help. As I said before this is my first time. I have NO linux experience/knowledge! I thought "Come on how hard can it be? I'll read some tutorials guides, whatever it takes..". Well SHIT. 3 hours now and I have done NOTHING. What I 've done so far:
    Managed to login with Putty.
    Managed to login with VNC.
    Thats it! Nothing else..I was following this guide:
    NaQ's Complete Setup Guide for Linux Seedboxes (Fedora Core/CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu)
    but its no use. I'm moving blindly! HELP people. I'm so angry with myself.

UPDATE: I made it this far: 6. Setup uTorrent & WebUI

Now there is this. I'm connecting with VNC but there is nothing there but the background! No taskbar, no nothing! Right click does nothing at all..

I really hope that someone from you will help me and I'll even seed for him/her. I share the box..Anything. Just to get me started so next month I be able to do it myself.
    Waiting eagerly for answers..
    The seedbox has Ubuntu Desktop 7.04.
    Last edited by midnightalker; 06-26-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Update
    "Our Democracy is being self destroyed. Because he right of freedom and equality was abused. Because it taught the citizens to consider the insolence as right, the illegality as freedom, the impudence of reason as equality and the anarchy as bliss"
    Isocrates 436B.C. - 338B.C.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Raban's Avatar Poaster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    learning about linux isn't something that comes overnight ... take a break ... sleep on it... come back tomorrow and keep trudging along...

you stick with it you learn and things get easier

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    OK I cant run Xterm so I typed the commands to start Utorrent in Wine to Putty. Check this out..It seems that some driver is missing..Here is what it says..
    Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
    Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
    and when i type firefox it says:
    (firefox-bin:16539): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Hey guys the main problem is I don't have any icons and no taskbar...Isn't this a classic Ubuntu problem..I'm googling many different phrases but I don't understand anything from what I read..What can I do?
    Last edited by midnightalker; 06-26-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    "Our Democracy is being self destroyed. Because he right of freedom and equality was abused. Because it taught the citizens to consider the insolence as right, the illegality as freedom, the impudence of reason as equality and the anarchy as bliss"

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Raban's Avatar Poaster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    are you sure you installed a window manager ?? if so which one was it

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I got this email..I told you seedhost.eu is great..
    Hi

I saw your topic on FST :-) You must use NXclient , not vnc, all is installed.
    login admin pass you know..

Regards
    So I'm working on it..still can't find how to use this but at least now I now what I'm trying to do..

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    What kind of speeds do you get with them?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    jayz707's Avatar the human BT Rep: +1
    claim down you can do it. its not that hard as it may seem. linux is simple if you have any more problems post em here.

cheers!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    hmmm. I purchased a seedbox from him (seedbox option, not dedicated server) and everything was already set up to use. (VNC, ftp, WebUI). Which option did you pick?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    KaySterling's Avatar Poster
    I also bought(hired) a box a couple of hours ago. I bought a dedicated, i like to set things up by myself and maybe learn something in the process.
    Hoping for some nice speeds when i get the box! Very exited!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    So guys, I sorted out most of the problem and have gotten bit of familiar with linux. Still a lot to learn thought. What I'm concerned now is FTP! I still have been able to transfer files from/to my computer. I have really fucked things up. First I donwloaded a lot of FTP programs..But they were not servers, so I talked to dancefor and he said use proFTPD. So I did..Here 's my story.
    I installed it from Add/Remove Apps from the applications menu. I installed the GPROFTPD the GUI server..At first I tried to make the settings myself..Nothing
    Then I found a guide for it tried it...nothing
    Then I found another more detailed guide from ubuntu forums...guess what..NOTHING

So I have applied I ton of commands from 2 different guides on one system as well as all the messing I did myself. Thats why I believe that no matter what you tell me now, I'm a very special case and no general guides are gonna work simply because A LOT of settings have already been changed. I hope you understand what I mean..

Here's a question in all that..Any other way to transfer my files from/to my computer besides FTP?
    If not, then if I use a different server (suggest one if it exists!!?!) will all these matter?
    What I have in mind right now, is really not a good idea but if I have no other choice...
    1)MSN Single file transfer
    2)upload bit by bit on a hosting site and then download them from my computer..

I told you I only have BAD ideas lately ("Oh, I think I'm gonna go with Linux"....SHIT)
    So any other way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast