Thread: The Bittersweet Popularity of Seedboxes

I don't usually throw ants on everyone's picnic like this, but I'm just curious about the impending reactions of the Recording and Motion Picture Associations of America concerning this recently large influx of seedboxes on the scene, as it were, of torrenting.

They are impending, right? America's watchdogs have keen eyes - they've litigated against torrents sites and news servers, and are employing computer software engineers to create anti-copyright filtering mechanisms for ISPs, as a sort of joint operation.

Wouldn't they litigate for restrictions on seedboxes, should they become increasingly popular, especially those hosters that welcome torrenters with open arms? I suppose they can't, because it would be poor business move for the hosting companies if they could. Perhaps I'm a bit naive about international relations?

My curiousity partly stems from the not quite ameliorated anxiety that I imagine will still be felt when I begin file sharing from a seedbox. I just can't believe that I will truly be freed from the prospect of getting in trouble. However, I know there is no guarantee, but the putative convictions of the seedbox hosters say otherwise, I should let you know.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    If the authorities want to investigate a seedbox IP, all they have to do is contact the host company, and they'll most likely have to hand over your information. Simple.

they didn't built Rome in one day

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    My curiousity partly stems from the not quite ameliorated anxiety that I imagine will still be felt when I begin file sharing from a seedbox. I just can't believe that I will truly be freed from the prospect of getting in trouble. However, I know there is no guarantee, but the putative convictions of the seedbox hosters say otherwise, I should let you know.
    What makes you think you would be safer using a seedbox than a home connection?

You still pay the seedbox-hoster to 'rent' a box and use his infrastructure to do things that are possibly illegal. That's partly your responsability and partly the hosters!
    Can you feel the LOVE

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    I'm pretty sure that they'd be able to do you for large-scale copyright infringement.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by lhnz View Post
    I'm pretty sure that they'd be able to do you for large-scale copyright infringement.
    Not without multiple court orders to hand over information, and then finding out that the information is not as legit as they thought it might be and in different countries to boot
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    invadercat's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lhnz View Post
    i know that some ISPs will just give you up... they want no court orders..
    sharing is a joy

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    You can divide the work of the copyright police in two categories: The one department goes after high-level sceners, because this is seen as the 'source' of online piracy, here they have well informed agents, and caught individuals face severe penaltys. The other goes after usual people - there are so many of them, usually they can't do much investigation or anything, they just try to intimidate as many as they can by sending out letters and similar.

Now where do private sites fit in here? They aren't really a primary source, the content can usually also be found at public places without them. But they are also not such a huge phenomena like ThePirateBay or LimeWire, I think the average person usually isn't in such sites. Which makes them a secondary problem.

Now you never know what they plan, but usually private sites are rather 'safe'...
    Last edited by Sonnentier; 06-24-2008 at 02:29 PM.