Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Pc Is 2 Slow

Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Avi or MPEGs my comp plays smoothly (if im not running to much other stuff), but i cant watch DivX's

so is there ne way 2 decode (part) of the movie beforehand so i can watch the movie at a speed of faster than 1/2 fps???
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3

i no u have a dual processor an shit (1 of which is 6 times as fast as mine ), but uhhmmmmm i jus dun have the €€ 4 that.............. so could u maybe give a tip of quit spammin my faboulous *cough* *cough* thread???

LMAO

*sits here lookin jealous*
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Sorry, and dont feel too bad I still have to pay this baby off. The monthly credit card bill is kickin my ass.

best thing to do in your case is to optimize your ram and close out as many programs as possible right before you watch the movie..........I guess

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    What specs does your comp have?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by shn@15 August 2003 - 15:26
    Sorry, and dont feel too bad I still have to pay this baby off. The monthly credit card bill is kickin my ass.

best thing to do in your case is to optimize your ram and close out as many programs as possible right before you watch the movie..........I guess
    Why did you get Xeons with 512k L2 cache? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Xeon cache system?

If your cache is that fast, then having 512k must mean that its stalling on practically every cycle after a branch prediction failure. That can be almost a 30% drop in speed on systems like windows since context switches and other branches can't be predicted. With such a long pipeline and so many decoders, a 512k cache could hardly feed it all the time, could it?

Monica

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Forum Star

i dont even know what you just said, but it sounded gooood

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by monica_green_22+15 August 2003 - 10:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (monica_green_22 @ 15 August 2003 - 10:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@15 August 2003 - 15:26
    Sorry, and dont feel too bad I still have to pay this baby off.&nbsp; The monthly credit card bill is kickin my ass.&nbsp;

Why did you get Xeons with 512k L2 cache? Doesn&#39;t that defeat the purpose of the Xeon cache system?

If your cache is that fast, then having 512k must mean that its stalling on practically every cycle after a branch prediction failure. That can be almost a 30% drop in speed on systems like windows since context switches and other branches can&#39;t be predicted. With such a long pipeline and so many decoders, a 512k cache could hardly feed it all the time, could it?

Monica [/b][/quote]
    I wanted the top of the line since I was charging it and didnt have to pay all at one time. And I didnt know much about the xeons when I bought the pc but the issues you are refering to are not a problem if those issues even exist at all, sounds like your just trying to sound intelligent

Btw, It runs Redhat Linux Advanced Server not a windows o.s. so context switches and other branches or whatever the hell you were talking about isnt a problem. I run windows xp on my other box and solaris 9 on my laptop so that pc is not used as a desktop.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by shn@15 August 2003 - 16:26
    Sorry, and dont feel too bad I still have to pay this baby off.&nbsp; The monthly credit card bill is kickin my ass.&nbsp;

keep living by your old folks :&#39;( And try talking into them that they also must pay for the pc

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Storm@15 August 2003 - 14:41
    Avi or MPEGs my comp plays smoothly (if im not running to much other stuff), but i cant watch DivX&#39;s

so is there ne way 2 decode (part) of the movie beforehand so i can watch the movie at a speed of faster than 1/2 fps???
    Try The Avi Preview KAzaa Lite Comes with....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast