Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dutch Kazaa Users Under Siege!

SaxyZoni
    The Dutch organisation BRAIN has announced that they will start prosecuting Dutch Kazaa users, starting with the people that share the most, by finding out their IP-adresses and forcing their providers to reveil their identity!

How do they find out your IP-adress when you're using Kazaa (I dont't see any of those on my K-Lite K++ version) and how can this be prevented?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Forum Star
    Kazaa Lite K++ hides your list of shared files. That way you are NOT a target of Brein, because they only try to go after people who share lots of files. When you have this option enabled they can't see how many files you share.

Stop worrying.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    1. Use the newest KL (2.4.1)
    2. Dont be to original with your username(for example: kazaa@kazaa, k++@kazaa)
    3. Enable option: 'Prevent users from getting a list of all your shared files' ([options]-[more options]-[k++ options]
    4. If you have an older version from KL, DONT use the standard port 1214, if im not mistaken.

The organisation Brain wants IP's from people who are sharing loads of stuff, but the ISP's in our country are not usually give them, because its a 'violation' on our privacy

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Was talking to my brother in law last night ( who is a dutch police officer). He told me that they (the Dutch Police) are in the courts at the moment to try and get warrants to force ISP's to give names of filesharers. But is taking awhile cos of legal problems. They are only consentrating on Kazaa at the moment and only the people who share.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Davebravey@15 August 2003 - 12:01
    Was talking to my brother in law last night ( who is a dutch police officer). He told me that they (the Dutch Police) are in the courts at the moment to try and get warrants to force ISP's to give names of filesharers. But is taking awhile cos of legal problems. They are only consentrating on Kazaa at the moment and only the people who share.
    AS it is not a criminal offence then there is absolutely no truth to that.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Forum Star
    Well, it is true that there is a court case going. But they have to win it first.

After that, even if they get your name, they will never win if they sue you. They simply don't have any real evindence.

Just look at the Jane Doe vs RIAA case.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    And they say lightning doesn't strike twice. Another double-post by Paul.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    @ Paul

Kazaa still sends my filelist to my supernode.

What if this is a "Brein infected" supernode. Can they still intercept my filelist despite of all the K-lite privacy options?

I know I sound paranoia but I was just wondering if this is possible.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I'd bet that would require some re-programming of Kazaa to be able to read that - wouldn't Sharman be able to sue them for that?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Forum Star
    Originally posted by Muse@15 August 2003 - 16:18
    Kazaa still sends my filelist to my supernode.

What if this is a "Brein infected" supernode. Can they still intercept my filelist despite of all the K-lite privacy options?

I know I sound paranoia but I was just wondering if this is possible.
    A list of files is no actual proof. I won't hold in a court case.

To prove anything, they would have to download every single file from you. And if they do that, they are braking the law themselves.

Conclusion: they can not do much to stop you

In the USA there is not even 1 filesharer yet that has lost a court case from the RIAA. There were a few (only 8 in total I believe) that did a settlement and paid a couple thousand dollar.

So most people are scared for absolutely no reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast