Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Normal GPU temp

Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!

Question Mark

Hey, ive just got a new GPU (8800GT) and ive noticed that the temp compared to my CPU is rather high. The temp on my GPU is 60C and also the the fan is going at 773RPM, is this all normal?
    I tried looking through speedfan to see if i could find the fan settings or temp. but speedfan hasnt discovered it yet. so is there a peice of software that will allow me to change the fan speed on my GPU?

My name is Dan for the people who care!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    New vid cards run much hotter than new CPUs and most stock cooling setups are at best, mediocre.
    Installing a Zalman cooler on my 8800GT dropped temps 25°c and since I regulate it's fan with a fanbus, allows for near silent running.
    I'd recommend you look into aftermarket coolers for the card.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    brillaint will do clocker, i didnt realise that stock fans were so bad compared to aftermarket coolers

where in the UK do they sell GPU coolers and is there a specific model?
    Last edited by Acid_death69; 06-29-2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Dunno, I'm not in your neck 'o the woods.
    Since purchasing mine several new models have come out, so you should just see what's available and go from there.

One thing to note...I noticed that some coolers state that they fit "8800 series" cards.
    Be careful as there is a difference in the RAM placement between the GT and GTX versions that may be a problem.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Check out the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1. They are able to run passively allowing for completely silent cooling.
    My 8800GT is running at 42C right now with no fan at all. Can't beat that.
    The price is also incredible.
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    MEDBEDb's Avatar Poster
    60C- kindO' ... high, try new cooler or smth ..
    ive got Inno3D 512 8800GT, and it works on 35-40C..

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    well ive got the same thing as clocker now, Zalman VF- 1000 and it cools it to 31 when idle and 42 when under load.
    I think there must have been something wrong with the stock fan. But anyway im much happier with what i have now

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    JROQuinn's Avatar Rev. Maynard BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    ya my GeForce 8600 GT runs @ 55c & 70c underload I want to OC it but i need a new fan too for that.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    ive only had my GPU for a fews i dont wanna do anything likethat till i know i can replace it:p

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    8800's are rated at 120c. >80c is pushing the life of your card.

60c is perfectly acceptable. Especially if it's under load. If it's 60c idle look at your case and check out your airflow. if you've got wires all around blocking flow get them out of the way. Any builder will tell you that decent cable management is a good way to keep shit cool. (some builders even charge extra for it :/)

If anything install another case fan. No sense in spending money on an aftermarket cooler if you don't need it (and it won't solve your problem if your case is too hot).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast