Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Drugs Become Legal ?

Originally posted by powdered water+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (powdered water)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I&#39;ve seen too many people die that i care about to try and buy in to the legalisation argument.[/b]

People dying from pot? Unless you mean cancer from inhaling smoke thats just plain wrong.

<!--QuoteBegin-powdered water

The gate-way myth is not a myth sorry. [/quote]

If you look at the drug usage rates in Holland compared to other countries you&#39;ll see that the reason its a &#39;gateway drug&#39; is because its illegal. Theres nothing special about pot that causes it to lead people into that scene other than the fact it resides in the criminal scene due to the law.

Again I have to ask.. all my friends started drinking before they started smoking pot so why isnt alcohol seen as a gateway drug? The truth is that it is.

Once you ingest a substance, any substance, to change your perception you&#39;ve entered through that gateway.

All drugs are the same in that respect.

I even know a group of lads who went from alcohol straight to cocaine and didnt bother with pot at all. On the other hand I dont do anything apart from pot. I dont even drink anymore&#33;

So no.. this idea that theres something special about pot itself that makes people do harder drugs is just wrong. Its the social framework around it that creates this &#39;gateway illusion.&#39;

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Aberrant
    I don&#39;t know if it could be done, but if it were possible to test for marijuana use in a similar way that alcohol can be detected (eg breathalizers), then I would see no reason that pot shouldn&#39;t be legalized - so long as it&#39;s use was restricted much the same way as alcohol is:
    • No driving under the influence.
    • No use by persons under the age of 18.
    • License required for sale.
    Till there&#39;s any proof that pot is more harmful than tobacco or alcohol, why should it be treated differently?
    Perhaps it would have even less appeal to users if it weren&#39;t tabu.

However, the other drugs mentioned (heroin, cocaine, etc.) should remain illegal.

(IMO)

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Originally posted by balamm
    You just keep right on telling yourself that&nbsp;

Someday you may even believe it enough not to have to look for validation in a forum like this.
    validation? Think of a better one mate&#33;

My beliefs are based on personal experience and scientific knowledge.

Spend an evening with some potheads, then spend an evening out on the town getting pissed. Then read up on how both drugs work on the nervous system

Then come back, describe both evenings and explain to me how you have more control when your drunk.

In other words come back when you&#39;ve got something substantial to base your ideas on

@powdered water

liver transplants and violence versus heart disease and cancer? Easy choice

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Originally posted by evilbagpuss@17 August 2003 - 05:38
    My beliefs are based on personal experience and scientific knowledge.

@powdered water

liver transplants and violence versus heart disease and cancer? Easy choice
    I&#39;m not sure but I think you just proved my point.
    <span style='font-familyptima'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:gray'>No Signature Required</span></span></span>
    Check out this cult TV forum... Cult TV Boards

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Poster
    lol, or are they based on personal experimentation which has left you incapable of properly judging?

I&#39;ve done both and I much prefer the company of drinkers to a housefull of paranoid couch potatoes who believe they are philosophicaly correct while their children run around in unchanged diapers and dirty dishes and pizza boxes clutter the house.
    Yes, the phone bill can wait, the next ounce is far more important.

Laundry? What&#39;s that?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    @powdered water

What was your point again?

At the very worst they&#39;re both as harmful as each other. Thats ignoring the propensity for violence that alcohol produces though...

But.. one&#39;s illegal, one&#39;s not.

I&#39;d rather take my chances with Cancer in 50 years time as opposed to having someone smash a pint glass into my face today. I&#39;ve seen it happen on more than one occassion. Its not nice and you dont necessarily have to do anything to deserve it.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Originally posted by balaam+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (balaam)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>lol, or are they based on personal experimentation which has left you incapable of properly judging?[/b]

Hey, if I can get all A&#39;s at A-level and successfully work through a degree I think Im pretty capabale of judging it.

<!--QuoteBegin-balaam

I&#39;ve done both and I much prefer the company of drinkers to a housefull of paranoid couch potatoes who believe they are philosophicaly correct while their children run around in unchanged diapers and dirty dishes and pizza boxes clutter the house.
    Yes, the phone bill can wait, the next ounce is far more important.&nbsp;

Laundry? What&#39;s that?&nbsp;
    [/quote]

hmm, those smokers do not sound like the people I smoke with.

Of course no one who drinks alcohol has kids running about in unchanged diapers or dirty dishes or pizza boxes lying around. I bet that never happens&#33;

Come on mate, your clutching at straws now

Pot does not produce violence in normally non-violent people.
    You cant OD on pot and die.
    You cant become physically addicted to pot.

Case closed

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Originally posted by balamm@17 August 2003 - 05:48

Yes, the phone bill can wait, Laundry? What&#39;s that?
    B, have you been looking in my window I&#39;ve been off the weed for a long time now but I&#39;ve still got some issues ya know?

O.K. evilbagpuss you win you can be right and i&#39;ll be happy.
    <span style='font-familyptima'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:gray'>No Signature Required</span></span></span>
    Check out this cult TV forum... Cult TV Boards

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Poster
    Originally posted by evilbagpuss@17 August 2003 - 06:55

Of course no one who drinks alcohol has kids running about in unchanged diapers or dirty dishes or pizza boxes lying around. I bet that never happens&#33;

You cant OD on pot and die.
    You cant become physically addicted to pot.

Case closed
    Are we speaking of hardcore alcoholics or casual drinkers? I was under the impression that you were not speaking of people who are hard core users of marijuana. I could point out extreme examples of that just as easily.

You can&#39;t OD and die from marijuana?
    As I suspected, you most certainly don&#39;t have a proper refference for your arguments then. Visit one of our local OR&#39;s any weekend and spend some time with a teen who&#39;s been admitted after smoking BC&#39;s finest for the first time.
    Most wish they could die. It&#39;s that bad.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    lol @ powdered water

Its not a matter of &#39;winning&#39; its a matter of true and false. You started off by saying you&#39;d seen people die from pot and that the gateway myth is not a myth.

The 1st one is definitely wrong unless your referring to cancer, the 2nd is highly dubious without any reasoning to back it up.

Sorry but I have this thing about challenging misinfomation in public places lest it be taken as gospel truth by the masses

By all means, be happy though

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast