Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Drugs Become Legal ?

http://reason.com/9511/BENFORDfeat.html

under the header "BEING HUMAN"

Other developments, just over the horizon, will probably force us to entirely rethink present ideas of good and evil. Within a generation, we will probably be able to make cocaine from a bacterial culture. Kids will grow it or morphine or opiumin bathtubs, not in elaborate labs.

This will do for our current drug prohibition what home-brewed beer did for Prohibition. Even easier ways are plausible: say, a bacterium which lives in your digestive tract and makes just the right level of cocaine every day. (Something like this has happened naturally. A patient turned up who was permanently drunk, from a yeast which made alcohol in his innards. Therapy freed him of a condition others might have envied.) Far more exotic methods of eluding detection, and of making new designer drugs, will no doubt emerge.

Such a ready supply will almost certainly doom a simple "War On Drugs" approach. Legalizing, taxing, and regulating their use will come to be far cheaper than following a Prohibition mentality against an ever-improving biotechnology.

In fact, I believe it already is cheaper and smarter. We have over 1.3 million in American prisons, the majority for drug-related crime. The average sentence for murder in California is for fewer years (eight) than the average sentence for drug crimes.

Prohibition of anything is about power and imposing a uniform value system. Technology in the next century will probably act against central control. This will push our cultural boundaries, with biotech steadily increasing the friction. In the end this may force a new social solution, resembling the European programs already using partial legalization, combined with the social pressure that has reduced tobacco and alcohol use.

I been under the impression that keeping drugs illegal was too "big money" for
    them to ever legalize any but this article makes a lot of since.
    Any veiws?
    SMARTY SMARTY HAD A PARTY NOBODY CAME BUT SMARTY

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    Which drugs do you refer to when you ask "Will Drugs Become Legal."

Which jurisdiction do you refer to when you ask "Will Drugs Become Legal.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Poster
    If marijuana becomes legal, billions of state and federal funds could be freed up (along with the nonviolent prisoners). Those billions could be diverted to increase fighting cocaine, heroin, and other deadly drugs.

They should legalize marijuana and run ads urging people not to use it (like the smoking ads), because marijuana is basically as bad as cigarette smoking, except you get high first. Make a law saying that nobody under 21 (or 18?) should be allowed to smoke it. Long term effects of marijuana smoking are just as bad as smoking cigs, but perhaps slightly worse.

If people do toke up they should be urged to do it no more than once a week. Thats what i would do if it were legal. Also, no smoking while holding a public office

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    I willl post my opinions in this thread but it requires sobriety.
    Monday morning will yield the best results.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by SodiumChloride@16 August 2003 - 23:50
    Also, no smoking while holding a public office
    If it is legal, why not ?
    You could say no eating, drinking, breathing while holding a public office.

Hmmm, I think you could be on to something here.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    Because marijuana is a concious-altering drug. We dont want politicians making decisions while high. Just a precaucion

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by SodiumChloride@16 August 2003 - 23:50
    If marijuana becomes legal, billions of state and federal funds could be freed up (along with the nonviolent prisoners). Those billions could be diverted to increase fighting cocaine, heroin, and other deadly drugs.

I think the first priority would have to be money for the psyhcriatric care that would be neccesary to deal with increased cases of depression, psychosis, paranoia, etc.

Tell me those things are not related to the excessive use of marijuana and I'll tell you it's probably time to quit

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    The advertisements would prevent people from taking way too much of it, which will prevent most of the psychiatric care needed.

Another thing i neglected to mention is the crime rate will fall because the drug would be cheaper. It would be something like amsterdam, where it is already legal to take it in moderation.

edit: i dont want to give the impression that i am a toker, becuase i havent had a joint in my life. I would have a joint every few weeks if it were legal though. I would take it in moderation, like alcohol.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by SodiumChloride@16 August 2003 - 23:01
    Because marijuana is a concious-altering drug. We dont want politicians making decisions while high. Just a precaucion
    Would we really be able to notice any difference??

If you listen to the evening sessions of the House of Commons many clearly have had a G and T too many.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Poster
    Advertisements already tell us not to steal satelite signals, bandwidth, programs, music, etc.
    Others tell us not to smoke, use products deemed "hot" by various world organisations, drink irresponsibly, think or speak derogatorily of other races or cultures, have unprotected sex, on and on and on......

With the permissive atmosphere certain subcultures have already created towards the use of Marijuana, I just don't see education or disclosure of fact having any effect whatsoever on someone who is inclined towards such things.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast