Thread: Which client to use?

crumble6's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I have the OVH Kimsufi, which I share with 2 of my mates. They have no knowledge of linux what so ever so its up to me to keep it up and running.

We started out using Torrentflux, because its got so many useful features, and because I was able to create an admin account which allowed me to change settings. This prevented them from doing stupid stuff like allowing 1000 connections per torrent. Anyway, a couple of months passed and we got fed up it as server loads were going sky high, and speeds were pretty shoddy.

Next I switched to rTorrent. Speeds were great, and the load was much lower. My mates wanted a GUI that they could access from anywhere over the internet, so I installed wTorrent. It's pretty good, but it doesnt have many options to change settings, and the user account feature is very basic.

wTorrent has now screwed up and I can't get it to work. I am planning a full reinstall of the OS, so I can just start from scratch. Are there any clients out there that offer the speeds and efficiency of rtorrent/wtorrent, but the features of torrentflux? I have no GUI installed on my box so it must be command line based. Also, native linux only please, no utorrent on wine, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    c0njur's Avatar ? BT Rep: +1
    I would highly recommend Torrentflux-b4rt. From Wikipedia:

Key TorrentFlux-b4rt additions:

• A more advanced queue management system.
    • The ability to periodically scan RSS feeds for new transfers to start.
    • The ability to change up/download rates while a transfer is running.
    • Transfer statistics logging and bulk operations (start/stop all transfers).
    • The ability to use clients besides BitTornado: Transmission and Azureus for torrents, wget for http and ftp downloads, and nzbperl for usenet downloads (using NZB files)

I noticed a big difference in performance switching from BitTornado (the original TF client) to Transmission. The amount of features is amazing. I definitely recommend checking it out.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Yeah B4rt is what we have been using but it just cripples the server. Loads hit like 5+ when we have a couple of torrents going. Also, we rarely get above 4mb/s whereas with rtorrent we regularly hit 10mb/s. I will take your advice and try out transmission before I totally scrap it though. Thanks.

Anyone get any other suggestions?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    c0njur's Avatar ? BT Rep: +1
    Im not exaggerating when I say performance increased substantially with the switch to Transmission. My load is usually below 1 (and I run several other services besides TF) on a P4, current memory usuage is about 250MB, and Im running hundreds of torrents.

Since you want native linux rtorrent is probably your next best thing (some would argue the best option). Only problem is there are several gui projects and none of them quite have the level of stability of rtorrent itself.

Here are some options from Wikipedia:

Ive heard good things about rtGui, however theres no security features as it was made for home use (not good for a hosted seedbox). You could try the others and see if any fit your needs.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I don't know how the hell you manage to keep loads so low... I currently have 2 transfers running and there is 4mb RAM free out of the total 1GB. They are only running at about 300kb/s aswell.

Looks like I will be returning to wTorrent again as I would rather have the performance. There are a number of threads on the B4rt forums that suggest using it as a front end for rTorrent, but so far the is little or no progress on it. That should be good, if it ever happens...

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Yeah, me
    I use utorrent 1.7.7!
    It's the most recomended on trackers! My seedbox initialy have deluge but revtt and scc don't accepted him!