Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why don't you use windows?

Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    I'm on a mac
    but man -vista looks great
    The hardware, interface everything, setup
    everyone is using windows xp or vista on a pc.
    why don't you use windows?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I've gotten my friend to use ubuntu, a successful convert, or so it seemed for a week. Now me confronts me on a weekly basis about problems that keep popping up: first it stops playing dvd, then the speakers stop working, then the headphone jack ... ffs I tell him stay away from the updates unless it addresses a problem you have.
    Last edited by LostInParadise; 07-08-2008 at 05:06 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    #Palestinian#'s Avatar Assistant.......
    i know neither MAC or linux and i'm using windows xp from long time ago
    i'm satisfied with it and if i face anyproblem i could ask almost everyone cause all people uses windows system.
    i don't think i will change windows ........

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    wevotedno's Avatar SeeD BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    My personal view is that i use linux because of the whole ideology behind the opensource OS's.

M$ has made the whole world to believe that pc's are obsolete after a certain time period or from time to time hardware needs upgrading in order to support new OS's and software.

Under linux and with minimal work you can run any application u want for free on any pc.

Also, for me, it is important to know that i am not part of the greater group of ctrl+alt+del ppl and that lets say a burning app or a word processing app needs to be as large as 1gb or more.

Further more the linux communities are great and using unix it is in fact very educating. As far as i am concerned i can't understand the fact that there are pc users out there that only know how to browse the net.

A direct byproduct of the whole M$ pc-computing view.

I forecast a dark future for M$.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    xp pro black is the best...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Vista's pretty but it can be a pain when it haves troubles with programs not made for Vista. I really wish it were more backwards compatible.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I'm on a mac
    but man -vista looks great
    The hardware, interface everything, setup
    everyone is using windows xp or vista on a pc.
    why don't you use windows?
    Was this supposed to be posted in the Linux or Mac sections?

yo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Macs are designed to have a 12 month shelf life im sure of it. I work closely with them and lets just say they look pretty on the outside. Don't get me wrong they can be very good, i probably just see all the instances of when they f up.

XP is my choice of OS, but I have tried Debian Linux recently and was very impressed with the simplicity and I love how shit just works even if you have a slow pc like me. I found it difficult in some ways like installing apps how you have to compile them..wtf? yeh so i was back to xp fairly quickly, but open source software has come a long way.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ubuntu is great. Vista is not.

But I still use Vista for games

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out, they leave the West behind...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    wevotedno's Avatar SeeD BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by yevgeny View Post
    Macs are designed to have a 12 month shelf life im sure of it. I work closely with them and lets just say they look pretty on the outside. Don't get me wrong they can be very good, i probably just see all the instances of when they f up.

XP is my choice of OS, but I have tried Debian Linux recently and was very impressed with the simplicity and I love how shit just works even if you have a slow pc like me. I found it difficult in some ways like installing apps how you have to compile them..wtf? yeh so i was back to xp fairly quickly, but open source software has come a long way.
    Debian pioneered in creating the .deb packages. A sort of .exe for applications replacement. 90% of all software can be found as .debs as well. No need to compile.

Of course there is also aptitude or synaptic that can auto-install any app u need.

I recommend for you ubu or mint linux.

Leave debian for later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast