Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: do i need a seedbox on this tracker?

Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    this is a messge to all people who believe they gotta buy a seedbox to get on private trackers.

i read this over and over again. "if you want to join tracker x or tracker y you do need a seedbox. you can't survive there without one. you can only keep your ratio on high level trackers when you have a seedbox!"

let me clear one thing up for all newcomers and future private tracker members.

it's a myth. it's simply not true!

you can keep excellent ratios, have great buffers and have the easiest and most comfortable life on any tracker without a seedbox.

an average connection of 1mbit/s upload is enough to download more content than you will ever be able to consume in your whole life on every tracker.

especially on those "high level" trackers you absolutely don't need a seedbox, because exactly they are the easiest to keep a good ratio or don't even have one.

so please don't believe people who tell you, that you need a seedbox here or there. it's wrong. there's not a single tracker where a seedbox is mandatory for you to survive.

please don't get me wrong. if you want to rent one, go ahead. they are great and provide others with excellent speed.

i just wanted to let you know that you are absolutely fine without one - everywhere!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    wevotedno's Avatar SeeD BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Yes i tend to agree with you on the subject pb. But, i also believe that as far as "precious" trackers are concerned i believe that is best to get a seedbox for a month or two in order to buffer the ratio up to a secure lvl and also in order to obtain rights to view nfos or top10 or whatever else requires certain ratio lvls.

In general i agree with you. My Home pipe is 24mb/1mb and i currently have a 2TB buffer on a known lvl 4 tracker.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    tknaught's Avatar +3 dB BT Rep: +2
    I agree, it's not necessary for any of them, but for some sites like What? or BMTV, you will either need to make your own uploads or put in a lot of work to keep a good ratio.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    You are right PolarBear... when you state 1 mbit connection as a standard, but not everybody has that upload speed.
    90% of my life as torrenteer was with 256 kbits/s, then 512 kbits/s, few days ago I could get 1 mbit up. connection, but before that I have always had a ratio superior to 3 in all trackers.
    But I canīt deny that lately there are some sites where a seedbox is, if not necessary... almost. Let me name 2: SCT and BitMeTv... every day is becoming harder and harder to keep a good ratio on those both sites, even so I have a very good ratio, but I canīt allow myself download some things that Iīd like to.
    You are absolutely right when you say that in very high level trackers you donīt need a seedbox, not only because they usually have innovative and extremely friendly ways to measure the ratio, they are also very easy to seed, even with crappy connections.
    But as a general conclusion I have to say that your message is true.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    yakz091's Avatar The Encapsulator BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    i agree with nemrod that those two sites + kg need some help with seedbox to maintain a good ratio and thanks to polarbear to let us know that high-level trackers not necessarily need seedbox, as max i have only level5.
    it will be good to know this fact while requesting invites for higher level, as some of them give preference for seedbox while giving away invites.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    deadalive1's Avatar VS ***** BT Rep: +2
    If you are selective with what you download and when you download them (like getting in early on a new torrent) then no a seedbox isn't needed. But if one doesn't exhibit self-control as Nemrod stated then you can get into trouble (ratio wise) fast on trackers like BitMeTV and the likes. But overall yes I agree Polarbear it isn't necessary to go out and get a seedbox or dedicated server.
    Please do not randomly PM asking for invites as I have none to give out. Have a nice day.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    I agree, you don't really need a seedbox on any tracker, as long as you download what you know you can seed back. But let's face it, seedboxes are just more convenient for most people, since the whole obsession with huge TB buffers is getting more popular these days.

And the popularity of seedboxes on some trackers irrefutably makes it harder for users with slower upload speeds to even get an even 1.000 ratio on torrents. SCT is a good example of this.

Some users will be smart, and download wisely to maintain a good ratio; take advantage of free leech, popular torrents etc. Some users will collapse under the pressure, and end up with a horrible ratio and give up. And some users will of course resort to a nice seedbox to solve all their problems; thus the problem grows.

they didn't built Rome in one day

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    The main reason we talk so much about seedboxes here is we are a highly experienced lot and therefore have a much more concentrated view of torrenting, whereas in the overall torrenting world we are prob only a minuscule percentile of those that do torrent, so we do tend to talk about the elite ways of torrenting, and with that comes the view that seedboxes and high level trackers go hand in hand.

I doubt that view will ever change, as every day we get new members who have googled either torrents or seedboxes and found FST, and hence the two will always go hand in hand here.

But the more that view can be balanced out by posts such as what PB has just made, then that can only be for the better as he is right, he is always right, you don't need a seedbox, but it does make torrenting a much more pleasurable experience if you do have a seebdox, and it makes your uploads much easier to seed.

It's a personal thing, and one that can only be answered by what you want from your torrenting life, your average torrenter won't ever need a seedbox, but as one progresses more & more into an experienced torrenter and feel you can offer more & more to your site(s), then and only then should you consider getting a seedbox, and only then if you have the time & money needed to get the most out of your purchase, don't just get one because you have read everyone needs one, it's just not true
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Potet's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +2
    I'm lucky and got a good connection at home, but don't you feel that you have a too slow connection even if you are downloading a torrent just after it is released? You aren't able to upload enough before "everyone" got the file(s). Like BitMeTV, the first few hours count a lot, and after that I feel there is just the season packs that give you a lot of uploaded MB over the next week/month or so.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    With a connection speed of just 512kb I have no problem with ratio. My secret:
    Seed 24/7
    Have a large hdd.

and I never donate for GB

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast