Thread: Need help staying connected

nemrac's Avatar Getting my feet wet BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    Hey all,

Here is the situation. I am running uTorrent 1.7 on Win Xp system. I have a SMC WBR14T-G wireless router connected to my cable modem. The computer is hardwired to the router. If I'm seeding under 300ish torrents there is now problems. Once I get over 300 (say 320) torrents, the router sporatically freezes. I need to unplug the power and restart it a few times a day or it just sits with no activity (torrent or internet access).

I have the latest firmway in the router. There is no obvious pattern to the freeze-ups.

Can some one help?

thanks

Nemrac

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    seed less.

sorry but 300 torrents wtf, what speed are you giving them 1KBs each, geez.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    deadalive1's Avatar VS ***** BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    seed less.

Yeah that is a bit excessive.
    Please do not randomly PM asking for invites as I have none to give out. Have a nice day.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    tknaught's Avatar +3 dB BT Rep: +2
    I have around 150 torrents from What seeding, and at any given time there is an average of only 1 of those torrents having an active downloader.

Anyway, my recommendation is to find a WRT-54G or other linux-compatible router and flash it with Tomato or DD-WRT. They can handle a lot of connections. You can also try tweaking utorrent to reduce the number of connections per torrent.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    nemrac's Avatar Getting my feet wet BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    seed less.

So i take it 300 is too many...

But not all the torrents are being used at the same time. There are only a handful or two at any given time being leeched. They average about 10KB each most of the time.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    slimdogp's Avatar Token White Kid BT Rep: +1
    Set the tcpip timeout to a lower number of seconds in the router (30 or 90 perhaps) if the firmware has the option. Also avoid partial seeding on some big packs or something where you may be connected to 30 peers at any given moment but not actively transferring any data to any of them.

Set the max number of connected peers per torrent lower, say to 3 or 4. You can always temporarily up them while you're downloading something if needed.

Obvious solutions include... seeding less number of torrents. Or buying a wr54gL and using the dd-wrt firmware. I finally dropped the money and did it a few months back and its really been kicking ass compared to my old crappy router.

Gewt Luck

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    BANNED BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Wow... 300 Torrents is a lot.

Damn..

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by tknaught View Post
    I have around 150 torrents from What seeding, and at any given time there is an average of only 1 of those torrents having an active downloader.

Anyway, my recommendation is to find a WRT-54G or other linux-compatible router and flash it with Tomato or DD-WRT. They can handle a lot of connections. You can also try tweaking utorrent to reduce the number of connections per torrent.
    +1 .. try using the tomato .. Do not go for DD-WRT though as this has been knwn to fck up some routers

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    The more torrents you have the harder utorrent and your pc works to keep everything connected. Maybe it's time to delete some of the torrents that haven't had any activity in a very long time?
    See ya in another life, brother.