Thread: France's Heat Toll Soars

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/0803/...15heatwave.html

How the hell did this happen? Fn sad.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Originally posted by zapjb@17 August 2003 - 05:30
    http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/0803/...15heatwave.html

How the hell did this happen? Fn sad.
    Even though America and France are not seeing eye to eye at the moment, as an individual I give my condolences.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    A regretful situation, to be sure.

Where is Jacque Chirac in all this?

Probably too busy trying to bully Albania or Cameroon about something.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@18 August 2003 - 15:38

That's rich for an American.

Hobbes
    Even though America and France are not seeing eye to eye at the moment, as an individual I give my condolences.
    How magnanimous.

Neil

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Neil__+19 August 2003 - 17:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Neil__ &#064; 19 August 2003 - 17:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@18 August 2003 - 15:38

That&#39;s rich for an American.

Hobbes
    How magnanimous.

Neil[/b][/quote]
    Oh, Neil-quit being so bitter.

I was just being anti-Chirac.

Hobbes WAS exhibiting typically arrogant pro-Americanism, though.

He should be de-bagged and radished, then extradited to stand before the Queen&#39;s Bench.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I just don&#39;t get how 5,000 people die from the heat in 3 weeks. It&#39;s sad, yes. This should&#39;ve never happened. It&#39;s not the 3rd world. They have clean safe water, it&#39;s not the desert. I&#39;m a USA citizen. Can a French citizen explain this? Thanks. Peace.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by zapjb@19 August 2003 - 23:03
    I just don&#39;t get how 5,000 people die from the heat in 3 weeks. It&#39;s sad, yes. This should&#39;ve never happened. It&#39;s not the 3rd world. They have clean safe water, it&#39;s not the desert. I&#39;m a USA citizen. Can a French citizen explain this? Thanks. Peace.
    I too, am mystified.

Here in Colorado we are in our 7th week of 90+ degree weather and I haven&#39;t read of any spike in the death toll.
    Outside of the few morons who lock their kids in their car and then leave them, the heat hasn&#39;t seemed to be much more than an inconvenience.
    As zapjib pointed out, France is hardly a third world country, so how does this happen?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    It is crazy. But it does show how complacency can catch us out.
    France was obviously completely unprepared for the heat and has paid the ultimate price.

Remember in Colorado your used to the heat and are prepared in advance.

Still doesn&#39;t explain how a country 25 miles from the U.K. can have such problems.

Neil.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by clocker+20 August 2003 - 13:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 20 August 2003 - 13:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-zapjb@19 August 2003 - 23:03
    I too, am mystified.

Here in Colorado we are in our 7th week of 90+ degree weather and I haven&#39;t read of any spike in the death toll.
    Outside of the few morons who lock their kids in their car and then leave them, the heat hasn&#39;t seemed to be much more than an inconvenience.
    As zapjib pointed out, France is hardly a third world country, so how does this happen? [/b][/quote]
    What is the humidity level in colorado ?

I suspect it is probably in the region of 25%, as opposed to the 85% levels we have been experiencing here. The problem is that the population is not acclimatised to these sort of weather patterns, the average temperature being much lower, so these extremes are much harder to cope with.
    At the same time the high humidity levels mean that sweating doesn&#39;t have much effect, there is nowhere for the perspiration to go so it doesn&#39;t have the required cooling effect. And because there is rarely any need, very few places have air conditioning, so moving people to hospitals does nothing for their condition, it merely fills the hospitals.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@20 August 2003 - 13:51
    I suspect it is probably in the region of 25%, as opposed to the 85% levels we have been experiencing here. The problem is that the population is not acclimatised to these sort of weather patterns, the average temperature being much lower, so these extremes are much harder to cope with.
    That explaines a lot Lynx.

The very young and the very old get caught out every winter with extreme and unexpected cold weather. It&#39;s just the same with heat especially when the humidity is as high as 85%

I know I would have a lot of trouble coping with those levels and I am quite fit and only 39. If I were old and weak not to mention unwell then it would cause me terrible problems as I do not take heat and humidity well.

What a tradgedy. lets hope lessons have been learned and the population will be educated as to how to cope with future heatwaves.

Neil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast