Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Which usenet provider?

I've used newshosting, usenetserver and usenetvault. I'm having some problems now with usenetvault, i might try astranews next, these providers offer unlimited for 15$/mo with little differences number or connections and retention. I find giganews too expensive, can get almost the same for half.

2. Newsgroups   -   #62
    Ive refrained from trying Giganews for the price reason as well. So far I've tried Hitnews and ZenNews, and both were very good. Right now I'm in the middle of my first month with NewsDemon and service hasnt been too bad. Next month Im thinking, I'm either goin back to ZenNews, or I'm gonna foot the extra dollar and give Giganews a shot, the extra retention time sure would be nice. Eventually I'll find the one that suits my needs and fits into my price range
    Last edited by sinbad420; 09-15-2008 at 01:10 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #63
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    I was religious with Usenetserver for the longest time but their constant issues had me going insane. I tried Giganews and my 50Mbps connection would average at 20Mbps with 20 connections and SSL.

I decided to give this Astraweb a try. I am sitting at a steady 30Mbps right now with their 20 connections and SSL server. I also signed up through the offer they have with Kleverig. $11 a month for as long as you keep the subscription? You cannot beat that value…

4. Newsgroups   -   #64
    just dumped megabitz. whatever you do, steer clear of these guys as their service has gone to crap. cannon't download a single new HD release without getting about 20% corrupted blocks, and of course there are not enough pars to cover this.

switched to astraweb, and it's a treat. no corrupted blocks, very fast speed - one connection alone maxes out my measly 7Mbps link (US broadband sucks). i can't imagine if i there were decent internet connectivity in my area as 30Mbps via all twenty connections would be sweet. also, retention is better on astraweb - i can actually download files over 100 days old without MASSIVE missing blocks.

$11/month is a great deal. let's hope astraweb withstands the test of time and does not meet megabitz in the abyss.

on a sidenote, if you are going to be downloading HD movies, usenet has been behind lately. a.b.hdtv.x264 is not what it was even 2 months ago. so many new releases are not available there anymore....instead, they are showing up on rapidshare. i'll keep my astraweb account for now as i hope that a.b.hdtv.x264 makes a comeback.
    Last edited by mcorleone; 09-24-2008 at 07:31 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567