Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Which usenet provider?

DylanDog's Avatar I am your God
    Yea heard about that, they will probably reach full year sooner or later, then theres no file loss at all, ha ha ha

2. Newsgroups   -   #52
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    Pimpn aint easy ®

3. Newsgroups   -   #53
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDOSE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM1257 View Post
    Any specific reason not to open an account with Astraweb on a Friday night?
    they are closed on weekends and it takes up to 3 business days to activate your acc.
    Thanks, Dose.

4. Newsgroups   -   #54
    For me the best provider for most users is Astraweb :
    => 155d min retention on all groups - US / Europe nodes with good speed - SSL - Upload allowed : for only 11$ (~7,5€) with the special http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

For "rich" people Giganews is good with their 240d but very expensive for me.

5. Newsgroups   -   #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Valoo View Post
    For me the best provider for most users is Astraweb :
    => 155d min retention on all groups - US / Europe nodes with good speed - SSL - Upload allowed : for only 11$ (~7,5€) with the special http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

For "rich" people Giganews is good with their 240d but very expensive for me.

I have to agree. I find astraweb to be very reliable and fast. I'm on the $11 a month special too and at that price it's very hard to beat. People go on about the 240 days giganews retention, but realistically how often will you need to go back that far to get anything? Personally, most of the stuff I download is fairly recent..and well with 5 months. For about a third of the price it's a much better deal, and with retention increasing all the time it'll only get better. I wouldn't mind spending $5 or maybe even $10 more for longer retention but at $20 it's just not worth it.

I guess it really depends on your needs, but if you stay on top of what you're downloading save yourself $20 a month on usenet and have a few extra beers so you can go from to ....

6. Newsgroups   -   #56
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeBaller View Post
    People go on about the 240 days giganews retention, but realistically how often will you need to go back that far to get anything?
    I can't control what I may or may not want to download. I run searches all the time because my app/game/movie preferences are always changing and I can't keep monitoring all the groups on a daily basis, so the current 200-day retention makes a huge difference for me and it will be even better when it reaches 240 days.

7. Newsgroups   -   #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
    I can't control what I may or may not want to download. I run searches all the time because my app/game/movie preferences are always changing and I can't keep monitoring all the groups on a daily basis, so the current 200-day retention makes a huge difference for me and it will be even better when it reaches 240 days.
    That's why I went on to say it depends on your needs. And, like I said I wouldn't mind spending more for longer retention it's just the cost vs. benefit at this price point just isn't worth it.

I'm not arguing that giganews isn't the "gold standard" provider, just simply Astraweb is better value for most people, and the whole topic started with the OP asking for a better deal.

8. Newsgroups   -   #58
    I agree with you both. I use newsgroups not only to find the last movie indexed on my nzb community. I make searches for many contents, and sometimes it's a recent post, sometimes a very old. So I understand Overlord.

But for me put 30$ "in the same basket" is too much. Indeed I've also a Rapidshare account, and I think with Usenet + RS I have more choice than an usenet access only, even with 240d of retention Some can add a seedbox etc.

9. Newsgroups   -   #59
    i am a big fan of giganews, i swear by it giganews.com

10. Newsgroups   -   #60
    I just signed up with astraweb today, seems very good so far.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast