Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idea for a tracker -> Seedboxes Only

Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    What for?

99% of files in seedboxes are never used by their owners, just for getting huge uploads and get highest ranks.

Now they have a reason: help to increase speeds and regular users get benefits of it, but only seedboxes?... please, make me draw to see if I get the point.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Poster BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Sounds like a good e-penis - buffer tracker.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Raban's Avatar Poaster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    this tracker already exists its called ScT

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Raban View Post
    this tracker already exists its called ScT
    If that was fact, then neither I or pretty much anyone I know there would be a member. True the speeds are insane, but my guess would be that maybe 10% have seedboxes and another 20% would have what we consider a fast line.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Well I think it's an awful idea. Not only does it prevent the "little guy" from joining a tracker but it makes the elitist side of trackers that much more elitist. If you can't afford a seedbox we don't want you is what that says to me. for that matter pay for a news server and go the NZB route. Trackers are supposed to be IMO for everyone. Free to all rich and poor, good connection and dial up, well maybe not dial up but you see my point.
    Also I believe PB mentioned if everyone had SBx's then you would have no leechers and a tracker needs a good balance of seeds and leechers to be sucessful so I reiterate what an awful idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbusters View Post
    The classic ratio system is draconian & it's great that some site owners are starting to realise this as well and are slowly edging away with it helping private BT tracker scene to evolve.
    Well no not really, the harsh truth here is that people in general suck ass. My point is proven by public trackers. Public trackers are the very essence of file sharing where everything is free to all, open to the public, share everything and keep it free, but this my man is where their greatness ends. Their speeds suck simply because most everyone hit's and runs. C'mon now we've all done it. Maybe a crappy little game for the wife or a new music single whatever the file may be we figure eh who cares no big deal right? Right. See ratio systems aren't perfect but I have yet to see a better system for this type thing. I know, I know a few of the top shelf trackers have done away with ratios, I do applaud them, but this works in an already well established communtiy where the members themselves feel a comitment to sharing. This will NOT work on a large scale or any tracker without years of honing their members and weeding out the bums. The simple fact is that not all tracker communities will be able to do this sucessfully. To say it's draconian is a tad drastic when it's the members themselves not the tracker staff or anyone else.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    There already are two, SCT and BMTV.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    What would be the point? To then seed the files on a different tracker? If you want full speeds all the time, join a newsgroup provider or get topsite axx.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    it would be better to get onto the FTP ring
    I think the same - if everybody has a high-speed server, BitTorrent doesn't make much sense with all that hash-checking and tiny chunks randomly downloaded. It would be better to just transfer 1:1 from beginning to end than jumping in the file all the time.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Squizzle's Avatar (""\(O.o)/"")
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    It exists already, but it is called scene axx via an FTP ring.

Trackers costs money, seedboxes costs money, just because round here we see a lot of seedbox discussion, in the wider torrenting community they are limited to a very small minority and mainly limited to the site uploaders.

There would be very little demand for an elitist seedbox only tracker as they would soon realise it would be better to get onto the FTP ring as above.
    Nailed it.

Boxes are used traditionally to support the large swarms and provide massive bandwidth to home users.

There'd be little point in having only boxes on a site in my opinion. Would kind of defeat the purpose.

As SgtMajor said, if you want some kind of boxes-only file distribution system, you'll find an FTP ring is far more efficient (and leet. and fun. and challenging).

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    I'm just wondering why someone would want to pay for a seedbox to use on a site with no ratio and they're not an uploader. Seedboxes aren't free so imo you need a purpose to justify one. Like being an uploader or to build a better ratio, though I guess for some spending daddy's money is a reason in itself. How about trustfundbabies.net for the name

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast