Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Idea for a tracker -> Seedboxes Only

integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    I'm just wondering why someone would want to pay for a seedbox to use on a site with no ratio and they're not an uploader. Seedboxes aren't free so imo you need a purpose to justify one. Like being an uploader or to build a better ratio, though I guess for some spending daddy's money is a reason in itself. How about trustfundbabies.net for the name
    There's a few reasons. Some people don't run torrents on their home connection/computer (like myself). Another reason is it's just easier management. For instance, when I want a TV series, I just snatch it from a tracker with my box. The opinions at that point spread out. I could stream it from my box, leech a few episodes from FTP to watch, or just let it sit there for a bit while I catch up with the rest of my shows, without worrying about my harddrive space or leaving my computer on to seed.

they didn't built Rome in one day

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Ali-g's Avatar Joker BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Well I think it's an awful idea. Not only does it prevent the "little guy" from joining a tracker but it makes the elitist side of trackers that much more elitist. If you can't afford a seedbox we don't want you is what that says to me. for that matter pay for a news server and go the NZB route. Trackers are supposed to be IMO for everyone. Free to all rich and poor, good connection and dial up, well maybe not dial up but you see my point.
    Also I believe PB mentioned if everyone had SBx's then you would have no leechers and a tracker needs a good balance of seeds and leechers to be sucessful so I reiterate what an awful idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbusters View Post
    The classic ratio system is draconian & it's great that some site owners are starting to realise this as well and are slowly edging away with it helping private BT tracker scene to evolve.
    Well no not really, the harsh truth here is that people in general suck ass. My point is proven by public trackers. Public trackers are the very essence of file sharing where everything is free to all, open to the public, share everything and keep it free, but this my man is where their greatness ends. Their speeds suck simply because most everyone hit's and runs. C'mon now we've all done it. Maybe a crappy little game for the wife or a new music single whatever the file may be we figure eh who cares no big deal right? Right. See ratio systems aren't perfect but I have yet to see a better system for this type thing. I know, I know a few of the top shelf trackers have done away with ratios, I do applaud them, but this works in an already well established communtiy where the members themselves feel a comitment to sharing. This will NOT work on a large scale or any tracker without years of honing their members and weeding out the bums. The simple fact is that not all tracker communities will be able to do this sucessfully. To say it's draconian is a tad drastic when it's the members themselves not the tracker staff or anyone else.
    + 1 /\/\/\
    Its much of a pay 2 leech if u think about it. U have to pay a seedbox for entering a site. I bet the site could easily have some deal with some seedbox companies

The Chase is Better than the Catch

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Well I think it's an awful idea. Not only does it prevent the "little guy" from joining a tracker but it makes the elitist side of trackers that much more elitist. If you can't afford a seedbox we don't want you is what that says to me. for that matter pay for a news server and go the NZB route. Trackers are supposed to be IMO for everyone. Free to all rich and poor, good connection and dial up, well maybe not dial up but you see my point.
    Also I believe PB mentioned if everyone had SBx's then you would have no leechers and a tracker needs a good balance of seeds and leechers to be sucessful so I reiterate what an awful idea.

The classic ratio system is draconian & it's great that some site owners are starting to realise this as well and are slowly edging away with it helping private BT tracker scene to evolve.
    Well no not really, the harsh truth here is that people in general suck ass. My point is proven by public trackers. Public trackers are the very essence of file sharing where everything is free to all, open to the public, share everything and keep it free, but this my man is where their greatness ends. Their speeds suck simply because most everyone hit's and runs. C'mon now we've all done it. Maybe a crappy little game for the wife or a new music single whatever the file may be we figure eh who cares no big deal right? Right. See ratio systems aren't perfect but I have yet to see a better system for this type thing. I know, I know a few of the top shelf trackers have done away with ratios, I do applaud them, but this works in an already well established communtiy where the members themselves feel a comitment to sharing. This will NOT work on a large scale or any tracker without years of honing their members and weeding out the bums. The simple fact is that not all tracker communities will be able to do this sucessfully. To say it's draconian is a tad drastic when it's the members themselves not the tracker staff or anyone else.
    Hallelujah. On the money on all counts.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Ghostbusters's Avatar Ectoplasmic

I agree with the above point 100% in the context of large scale public trackers which is what you seem to be talk about in your post, however my comment was about small private ratio free communities, circles of trust

If your a member of any sites like this you'd understand why it's the way forward

Baby On The Way OMFG !

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I am a member of most of the sites we speak about here on FST and some we don't. Again it's a decent idea but it would never work. Its elitist ( which I cannot stand) noone would leech along with many many other falws that need to be worked out.
    I love the name trustfundbabies.net Oh and Sear stop spending my money!!!

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    no worries daddy

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Another reason for having a seedbox is if your home IP has a ridiculously low bandwidth cap like mine does.
    With a seedbox at least I don't have to worry about the upload.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    nthpeter's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    I think its a great idea, but not for us. I think the Scene, or a part of it could adapt the torrent technology. There would be a tracker with no www access, help could be found on irc. Every server could have scripts that automatically make torrents about pred stuff, upload it to the tracker which could inform the other sites and send them the torrent automatically (in the categories they accept). So it would be like an FTP ring w/o the need of traders who trade auto or manual and every connected site could have the stuffs in seconds after pre. It would be cheap, everyone could choose his best categories, there would be no users to maintain (just the affils), so less problem to the siteops. It would be great

edit: ok it wouldnt be cheaper for siteops, but it would be great anyway...
    Last edited by nthpeter; 07-19-2008 at 05:39 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    walkman79's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    I always have a seedbox or two for seeding and uploading stuff, but I would hate a tracker like that from the bottom of my heart. I mean, not everyone have access to high bandwidth or seedboxes.
    p2p and bittorrent was meant for the masses.
    As SgtMajor said there are already FTP rings which offer high speeds. However it's very difficlut to gain access to those sites and they usually cost a lot if you are just a leecher.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234