Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: partial seeding improves your ratio - a myth

The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Partial seeding is not a myth Mister Bear, what it is is a facking pain in the erse. That it is.

Did I mention you also DON'T get to watch/read/play whatever it is you "dl"?

It's the most tedious piece of crap there is. I'd rather ask a friend to share his box with me.

-Sherman

2. BitTorrent   -   #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckater View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aysomc View Post
    its not a myth at all and it works great for ppl with slower speeds. if you only choose a couple rars then you have those complete rars whereas others will just have a couple pieces of them along with every other rar as they're downloading so a lot more peers will be forced to go to you to dl the information that most people dont have yet when the torrent is first starting. basically you want to connect to the original seeder and get those full rars before anyone else and a lot of people will connect to you and you'll max out your speed until the majority of people are done downloading the whole thing. if you have a seedbox or really good speeds it wont matter much if any at all and downloading the whole thing is actually smarter in that case but with really slow speeds partial downloading is the way to go.
    Yes this may be true but what happens then when you want a whole film and a few people are part seeding, you will be either unable to seed it back fully or will take a lot longer to seed back the whole thing.
    So in reality it works but it hinders other people trying to keep there ratio and on another torrent that person may well be YOU.
    Do the maths people on any torrent not every one can seed to a ratio or 1 any way as the uploader will seed to a good ratio probable a min of 4 if several snatches so that is already 4 people that will not be able to get a ratio of 1 on that torrent then part seeders and over seeders make it even worse.
    Partial seeders show up as leechers, not seeder so there's no problem to your "Yes this may be true but what happens then when you want a whole film and a few people are part seeding, you will be either unable to seed it back fully or will take a lot longer to seed back the whole thing." The whole point of partial seeding in because your int speed is crap that you wouldn't be able to seed 1 to 1 anyway. People partial seed on shit they don't want, not shit they want.

3. BitTorrent   -   #103
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Kind of defeats the whole purpose of file sharing though doesn't it?

4. BitTorrent   -   #104
    bblogs's Avatar Damn Straight. BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    This discussion isn't about the ethics of partial seeding, it's about the effectiveness of it. There are that many seedbox overseeders around here to make the ethics of partial seeding irrelevant.

5. BitTorrent   -   #105
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by bblogs View Post
    This discussion isn't about the ethics of partial seeding, it's about the effectiveness of it. There are that many seedbox overseeders around here to make the ethics of partial seeding irrelevant.
    Thus spake Zarathustra

-Sherman

6. BitTorrent   -   #106
    Sticks.
    Ethics are never irrelevant.

7. BitTorrent   -   #107
    The problem is every body is chasing the impossible
    It is not possible and never has been possible for every one to achieve a ratio of 1 on every single torrent.
    People try many things to keep a ratio as hi as they can, never understood that really.
    I am to keep a ratio of around 1.2 on sites I have not uploaded too which I think is about right for most sites
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

8. BitTorrent   -   #108
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    How so? There's a file, albeit a 'bit' and your sharing. Kinda is the purpose there, Champ.

9. BitTorrent   -   #109
    Ramus's Avatar anti-trader BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    partial seeding is great especially if you do not wanna dl a very big release but want to seed it eg. like a game.

it has always worked well for me. so i say it is definitely not a myth.

10. BitTorrent   -   #110
    Quote Originally Posted by jars View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    How so? There's a file, albeit a 'bit' and your sharing. Kinda is the purpose there, Champ.
    You didn't change my opinion by your juvenile post jars.
    All you accomplished is you managed to have me take an instant dislike to you.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast