Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: partial seeding improves your ratio - a myth

zedex's Avatar Borat Brother BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    thats why i have the title "super leecher" on many trackers 256kb upl FTW !!!

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by renwickftw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post

that would mean peers prefer you because you offer less chunks. that's not true.
    Seeding 13.3GB on a 700MB file IS way off, for a person with a bad connection. Let's say that this person has 100kb/s upload, which is pretty generous. It will take him 46 minutes to seed the 280mb. For him to seed 14gb, it will take him 2333 minutes, or 38 hours. Now that is calculated at max speed. Do you think you can seed a 700mb file for 38 hours straight at max speed? I would think not, especially if it is a popular one. Now as I said before, this calculation is very generous, many people dream of having 100kb/s upload.
    you are telling me, that more data needs longer seedtime. what does this have to do with the fact, that the small portion of the file won't be snatched more than the whole movie? it's pretty clear that it will take more time to get a higher buffer. that doesn't explain a possible benefit of seeding only a part of the file.

By the time a person with a slow connection seeds back an amount of data, the leechers may have already gotten the other chunks of data from faster seeders, leaving you with no one to seed to.
    the same happens with your chunk.
    But since you are downloading a lot less, it will be easier to hit a good ratio, compared to a big file.
    why? it doesn't play a role how big the file is, it depends on how much it is snatched. the amount of snatchers you get doesn't negative correlate with the amount of chunks you have of a torrent. it doesn't correlate at all! so it's not easier to hit a good ratio if you download less. you're wrong.

partial seeding is useless and doesn't have any advantage in terms of ratio or buffer. my opinion remains that it's a myth. download the whole thing and you'll end up with the same ratio improvement but a higher buffer and some content to enjoy.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 07-17-2008 at 11:54 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    brightsid's Avatar Larisssssssaaaaaaa BT Rep: +4
    Maybe it is useless for buffering an account but it is really usefull for checking a torrent (watching a sample for example)

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    BANNED BT Rep: +1
    A myth... And a good one, it's almost a fact nowadays.

Nice work polarbear.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    your logic is seriously flawed Polarbear, and it would only work if everyone had the same upload speed.

If someone has a 100mbit upload VS my 512k upload, its going to take me ALOT longer to upload 13gb than it is 223MB. In the time i upload 13gb on 512k upload - there wont be any leechers left on the torrent so i'd get shafted in the end which is why partial seeding is better on slower connections as you can compete with faster connections

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    and the point of all this is.......?
    Go Leafs Go.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre View Post
    your logic is seriously flawed Polarbear, and it would only work if everyone had the same upload speed.

If someone has a 100mbit upload VS my 512k upload, its going to take me ALOT longer to upload 13gb than it is 223MB. In the time i upload 13gb on 512k upload - there wont be any leechers left on the torrent so i'd get shafted in the end which is why partial seeding is better on slower connections as you can compete with faster connections
    you don't seem to understand it and you mix up two problems that have nothing to do with each other.

of course it takes you longer to upload a certain amount of data with a slower connection. of course faster peers are prefered in the swarm.

it just doesn't matter how much of the file you have.

in your scenario you probably won't get a lot of snatches regardles wether you have 1 rar file, 10, or the whole file. if there aren't any leechers, there aren't. if other seed faster they get the peers.

i just doesn't play a role how much you have downloaded of the file. if nobody leeches the whole movie, nobody leeches your partial download as well.

in the end the ratio in relation to your downloaded amount of data will be exactly the same.

you won't upload more if you download less. no matter when, how fast, how slow or how long you seed. the number of downloaded chunks is not critical for your upload amount. you can't influence upload by reducing the number of chunks hence partial downloading.

i'm starting to repeat myself now.

Quote Originally Posted by puckface View Post
    and the point of all this is.......?
    go bump your trade threads.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 07-17-2008 at 02:00 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    slimdogp's Avatar Token White Kid BT Rep: +1
    As has been stated previous it has to do with time.

I have about 100kB/s upstream, so if I grab 1 .rar of a movie I can have that pushed back out in 5 minutes, then any buffer I make after that is just a bonus. The entire 700MB movie would take about 2 hours to get back (at full speed).

It doesn't matter how many snatchers come after me, the seeds are increasing rapidly as time passes. Chances are I'm only going to stay maxed out on upload for a few minutes, while the seeders are becoming more and more saturated.

Anyway, cool thread Nice to see a good argument from tim e to time. I rarely partial seed like this, sometimes I will on bitmetv if I don't have other torrents active, and feel like making 1GB or so on there one night. Usually I'll pick a popular tv night in the fall season and just grab 20MB of each .avi and leave 10 of them going overnight, and make a bit of ratio.. no big deal though.

People who do it on TL/SCC sites like that are kinda silly in my opinioin. There is HNR rules on these trackers so you're buffer really isn't of much use unless you're trying to snatch old stuff but don't have the buffer.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    you don't seem to understand it and you mix up two problems that have nothing to do with each other.

of course it takes you longer to upload a certain amount of data with a slower connection. of course faster peers are prefered in the swarm.

it just doesn't matter how much of the file you have.

in your scenario you probably won't get a lot of snatches regardles wether you have 1 rar file, 10, or the whole file. if there aren't any leechers, there aren't. if other seed faster they get the peers.

i just doesn't play a role how much you have downloaded of the file. if nobody leeches the whole movie, nobody leeches your partial download as well.

in the end the ratio in relation to your downloaded amount of data will be exactly the same.

you won't upload more if you download less. no matter when, how fast, how slow or how long you seed. the number of downloads of your chunks is critical for your upload amount. you can't influence this by reducing this number the number of chunks hence partial downloading.

i'm starting to repeat myself now.
    First off, I dont think that anybody has said that if you partial seed, you will upload an amount greater than if you had the whole file. If anyone said that, then they'd be absurd. But, partial seeding does help.

However, in my past experience, I have partial seeded a single rar (50mb) from a DVDR (4.7gb) and managed to upload 1gb with my 60kb/s upload (which never got maxed anyway), many times. So that's a ratio of 20. Now according to you, I would've gotten the same ratio if I had snatched the whole file. 20 * 4.7 is 97. 97gb. For me to get 97gb on a single torrent with my connection is unreal. It will never happen, maybe in a year of seeding, if I got lucky. Whereas the 1gb that I uploaded from partial seeding took 3 days.

Partial seeding will never get you more upload than if you got the whole file. Never. However, it will raise your ratio, and is a cheap and fast way of getting a cushion.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    tknaught's Avatar +3 dB BT Rep: +2
    Your posts are normally pretty good Polarbear, but you are way off on this one. I can tell you from experience that partial seeding is a lot more effective than full seeding at building ratio. Your logic in the OP assumes that you don't have to compete with other seeders.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast