Thread: partial seeding improves your ratio - a myth

BANNED BT Rep: +5
    part is useful when you up is not very good
    i will increase your ratio
    it is no problem

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by apextwin146 View Post
    wat if the 20 snatches are by 20 bit-tards who believe in downloading a single rar ....

EDIT :- Anyways i thght that partial seeding was when there was like a very big movie pack( <25gb) and you wanted just some movies so u just download them and seed them ...
    Then that isn't a snatch. A "snatch" is a full download.

Until the torrent has been downloaded in its entirety, it has not been snatched and you are not a seeder.

You will remain a leecher until you've snatched the torrent.

yo

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by tknaught View Post
    Your posts are normally pretty good Polarbear, but you are way off on this one. I can tell you from experience that partial seeding is a lot more effective than full seeding at building ratio. Your logic in the OP assumes that you don't have to compete with other seeders.
    please explain to me how seeding only a portion of a file gives you an advantage in the swarm when you compete with other seeders.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 07-17-2008 at 02:33 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post

Quote Originally Posted by puckface View Post
    and the point of all this is.......?
    go bump your trade threads.
    What does that have to do with anything? Did someone get their feelings hurt that no one likes their pointless post? Poor baby. Nice use of red and green though in the OP, quite impressive.
    Go Leafs Go.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    Polarbear, if two different people, who live on the same street, have the same connection of 10kb/s upload max and have the same ISP. One of them downloads 15mb of a movie. The other one downloads the whole 700mb. They start the same torrent at the same time - 1 minute after it hits the tracker. The stop their torrent after 12 hours of seeding. Who do you think will have the better torrent ratio? Basically, the only variable in this is the amount they upload.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    There is at least one more point about partial seeding that does not help the community as a whole and especially for members on trackers with wait times

1. By taking one 14 mb segment and seeding it to say 280 mb you have well over seeded that piece of the torrent now say 10 people did that and only 25 actually wanted the full torrent the people that actually wanted the torrent are being hampered by people who actually dont want what they down loaded and this could actually cause them wait times
    I know most will think so what I don't care it helps me build a buffer, but at some point it may be YOU that is hampered by this action.

I must admit as a whole I agree with bear there should be no need to over seed a single rar file.

Only time I think part snatches are ok is from packs where you want selected episodes, films, games etc to complete or build up that collection
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    partial seeding can be interesting when using a poor seedbox, because your upload speed is awful until you finish downloading a file, it's then more efficient to partial seed

i remember using a leeware crap more than one year ago and it was the best way to get some buffer on sites with fast uploaders like sct and it didn't hurt anyone as far as i know

but on a quality seedbox, forget it, you take the whole thing

at home, well, i never thought about doing partial seeding but i guess it could be helpful when you start on a new tracker

anyway, what really bugs me is people who partial seed on site like blackcats

it completly screws up the seed point system, those partial seeder being identified as leechers, the seed point system then never kicks in

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    the whole thing depends if you have high speeds .. and you stay a longer time in the swarm

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Hey PB, for once I disagree, you're wrong, partial seeding can work & does help those with slower connections get some buffer on popular torrents

It is easy to grab 1GB of a new DVD, movie or game or xbox game, stop and then seed back 4 or 5GB, or more even before the torrent dies, thus gaining them 3 or 4GB for something they wanted later.

As long as it is within the trackers rules, so what?

Now whether it ever should be allowed is another debate for another time. For me, it should never be allowed, grab the whole torrent to 100% or grab nothing, but hey I don't make the rules, so leave alone what works for some.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    it shouldn`t be allowed but how then again when you want to take only the sample from the movie what will happen ?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast