Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: partial seeding improves your ratio - a myth

SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Get off the torrent and stop seeding and let staff decide that taking the sample is an allowed HnR.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by renwickftw View Post
    Polarbear, if two different people, who live on the same street, have the same connection of 10kb/s upload max and have the same ISP. One of them downloads 15mb of a movie. The other one downloads the whole 700mb. They start the same torrent at the same time - 1 minute after it hits the tracker. The stop their torrent after 12 hours of seeding. Who do you think will have the better torrent ratio? Basically, the only variable in this is the amount they upload.
    when we assume the exact same conditions (which is of course hypothetical) both should have the same ratio (in relation to the download). the person who downloaded the whole movie will have a higher buffer though and a movie to watch.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 07-17-2008 at 03:06 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Polarbear, if two different people, who live on the same street, have the same connection of 10kb/s upload max and have the same ISP. One of them downloads 15mb of a movie. The other one downloads the whole 700mb. They start the same torrent at the same time - 1 minute after it hits the tracker. The stop their torrent after 12 hours of seeding. Who do you think will have the better torrent ratio? Basically, the only variable in this is the amount they upload.
    when we assume the exact same conditions (which is of course hypothetical) both should have the same ratio (in relation to the download) and the same buffer.
    How can that be? If the partial seeder only uploads 5mb, then the other guy will have to upload 233mb. Would that be possible, such a big difference? What about on the other end of the spectrum? The first guy uploads 60mb, the other guys uploads 2.8gb. Does that sound right? Frankly, if you were to do this experiment, I have a good feeling that the partial seeder will have a better ratio than the other guy. The fact is that partial seeders help people with slow connections.

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    It helps the partial seeder to build his ratio but on the other hand then it also makes it harder for people with slow connections whole want the whole file to seed it well
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckater View Post
    It helps the partial seeder to build his ratio but on the other hand then it also makes it harder for people with slow connections whole want the whole file to seed it well
    Which is why it shouldn't be allowed
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    I agree with SgtMajor I also disagree with over seeding, only person that should really over seed a torrent is the uploader, another exception is if a seed box is being used to boost the torrent around a swarm when a slower speed uploader has put the torrent up
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    Wow, I finally found a thread where Polar Bear is wrong. Rare, but still wrong. Of course partial seeding is successful. Crap speed people could start a torrent as soon as it hits ScT and by the time they'd downloaded 10mb of say the 700mb file, the file could have been snatched 40 times. And then of course by the time they'd grabbed the lot (all 700mb), it's so old it'd take 2 weeks of constantly seeding to hit a 0.75 ratio on the file. Partial seeding however is a recipe for success. My whole bitv buffer (quite large) is testimony to it. A zero day file, partial seeding 20mb can net me a gb a day. If I grab the whole 350mb file, I very, very, very, and another very, very, very, very rarely can get a full 1/1 ratio on it.

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    So jars you are the one that is making it harder for othr people with slow connections of sct to keep there ratios on torrents
    Not looking for anything

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post

when we assume the exact same conditions (which is of course hypothetical) both should have the same ratio (in relation to the download) and the same buffer.
    How can that be? If the partial seeder only uploads 5mb, then the other guy will have to upload 233mb. Would that be possible, such a big difference?
    forget about the same buffer. i edited this. the ratio is the same, but the buffer for the whole downloader will be higher of course, because he downloaded more.

both offer a certain amount of chunks to the swarm. both have to download this certain amount before they can offer it. there will be a demand for these chunks in the 12 hours. one can offer 15mb, the other 700mb. since the conditions are exactly the same, both of them will end up with the same ratio. one has downloaded less, but can offer less. one has downloaded more, but can offer more.

it doesn't make a difference, that's why partial downloading doesn't improve your ratio compared to full downloading.

your eaxampe is very good by the way and hopfully makes people understand the logic.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 07-17-2008 at 03:27 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #50
    I have 2 torrents running at the moment; a 9gb that is partially dl (75mb) and a 6gb that will be dl to completion. They are from different trackers of about the same speed and about the same numbers of peers.
    The partially dl torrent is already finish but the other one is still downloading and will be completed in about 15 hr from now.

Let see if PB is right. If he is wrong I may get banned from this tracker for low ratio.

added: my max seed is 60/30kb
    Last edited by TP635; 07-17-2008 at 03:30 PM.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast