Thread: YouTorrent relaunches with focus on legal downloads

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "One of the fastest-growing new BitTorrent sites said late Wednesday that it had relaunched its search engine, indexing nearly six terabytes of legal content."

"In April, the site made the decision to go legal and stop indexing sites such as The Pirate Bay and isoHunt, which do not prune their databases of pirated content. YouTube has only been online since January, but the company said at the switch it averaged over 10 million unique users a month.

It had attempted to find a buyer along with the switch, although a deal to do so was never reached. The site says it is owned by Manzanita Assets Ltd., although no further details have been given on the organization.

Administrators did admit to the blog TorrentFreak that the decision ultimately caused the site to lose a large portion of its traffic. However, that has since stabilized and has begun to increase once more."

Source: Full Article @ BetaNews
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    so what they are going to index if not torrents, as far as i know Bitorrent is 99% used for piracy. what legal searches it can index? and which indexing site has anything beside piracy?

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Quote Originally Posted by BawA View Post
    so what they are going to index if not torrents, as far as i know Bitorrent is 99% used for piracy. what legal searches it can index? and which indexing site has anything beside piracy?
    Lotsa game sites offer torrents as a method to download large patches and demos.

There's a legit reason.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    No wonder lately, I do a search and found nothing. Looklike it's a useless search engine for me now.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    colbert's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BawA View Post
    A lot more than 1% is used for legal content. It may not be a majority, but I've seen people use bittorrent at work for legal purposes.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    The BT protocol is actually used for alot more than pirating. As im sure you guys already know its pretty damn effective at content distribution. Its a savior for smaller sites with large amounts of content.
    Thought will set us free.