Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Partial Seeding, should it be practiced or unethical?

Eargasm's Avatar Whoa BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Partial seeding is about as ethical as using a seedbox. On a torrent with 20 seedbox users and 20 regular users, 1:1 is going to be unlikely for any of the regular users.

So are the seedbox users "stealing" upload from the regular users?

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    well, seedboxes are another matter.. peeps really have no need for them either unless they are uploaders or something... reg peeps really dont have a need to use'em..
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by jasperr View Post
    well, seedboxes are another matter.. peeps really have no need for them either unless they are uploaders or something... reg peeps really dont have a need to use'em..
    100% wrong there.

A lot of reg peeps need seedboxes, and a lot of that depends on what part of the world you come from.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    100% wrong...??? damm, percentage wise i don't thing its that much... but, sgt must've number crunched.. O.O.. guess your better at math than i am...
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    I must admit I did do partial seeding in my early days of torrenting. It's so hard to seed in a tracker like scc with my 1mb up connection. Lucky me, when I joined the tracker, FREE LEECH I downloaded about 800mb worth of files (2episodes?) from a 45gb pack, seeded for like 1month, built up a buffer of 30gb.

Partial seeding would definitely benefits the non-seedbox/slow connection users for a short period of time. But in a long run, that would hurt the speed of that file. Imagine most seeders stopped/deleted that torrent, left with a few seeders and partial seeders. Users who wanted to download the "old" file would definitely suffer.

IRC bonus is great, for the honest users with slow connection, but some would take advantage of it. Download at full speed, seed back at 1kbps, stop once it hits 48hrs or finish downloading. No difference from hit-n-run, at the end of the day, ratio for that file is 1:1. But others wouldn't download fast without the participation from that "cheater"

So I think it's up to the tracker itself, always let the torrent die, and let users to request it again. Or uses a system like BCG, disallow partial seeding for single game and give sp points to the "last few" seeders of that file. After all, it's all about the health and speed of that file.

[All about non-pack files, other then my story ]
    Last edited by unrealsg; 07-20-2008 at 05:57 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    tknaught's Avatar +3 dB BT Rep: +2
    Partial seeding is only a symptom of the real problem, which is the broken ratio system on many sites. Address that problem, and partial seeding will go away on its own.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by jasperr View Post
    100% wrong...??? damm, percentage wise i don't thing its that much... but, sgt must've number crunched.. O.O.. guess your better at math than i am...
    I'm also 100% better at spelling you're than you!
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    It should not be allowed. Partial seeding falsifies the info about any .torrent.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by tknaught View Post
    Partial seeding is only a symptom of the real problem, which is the broken ratio system on many sites. Address that problem, and partial seeding will go away on its own.
    well that is being discussed in the userclass thread now, but how would you fix it.

to me its like re-inventing the wheel, but making it so it still round.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    walkman79's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    1Mb up connection is a lot lol, imagine seeding with my 256Kb connection. It would have been impossible for me to keep a good ratio on ScC or ScT without a seedbox since they don't have any bonus system. Well, ScT made some funny contest to help their members with low bandwidth
    512Kbps is the maximum upstream bandwidth you can get in my country, and there isn't any company which provides 100Mbps/100Mbps dedicated servers here. So, I have to rent a seedbox from some hosting company which are usually very expensive for me. If I hadn't a friend who rents OVH for me my account would die in some trackers.
    Partial Seeding is the only way for some people who don't have enough bandwidth or storage space to keep a good ratio on their trackers, but some people abuse of partial seeding and just grab 1% or less of every torrent, I think the last is a bad example.
    I think a good bonus system would decrease partial seeding in most of the cases.
    Last edited by walkman79; 07-20-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast